Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: joseph714 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 24982  
Subject: VRTX spiking in pre market Date: 5/7/2012 8:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=VRTX

7:30AM Vertex Pharm: interim data from Phase 2 combination study of VX-809 and KALYDECO (ivacaftor) showed 'significant' improvements in lung function (FEV1) in people with cystic fibrosis who have two copies of the F508del mutation (VRTX) 37.41 : Co announced today an interim analysis of data from an ongoing Phase 2 study of VX-809 and KALYDECO (ivacaftor) that showed significant improvements in lung function (FEV1) among adults with cystic fibrosis (CF) who have two copies (homozygous) of the most common mutation in the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) gene, F508del. A planned interim analysis was conducted after approximately half of the study patients had completed 56 days of treatment. Today's results are based on data from 37 homozygous F508del patients who completed treatment in the 56-day study and 11 patients with one or two copies of the F508del mutation who received placebo. There was a statistically significant improvement in lung function (absolute change in percent predicted FEV1) across the combined treatment groups relative to baseline compared to placebo (p=0.002). Of those who received VX-809 and KALYDECO (250mg, q12h), approximately 46 percent (17/37) experienced an absolute improvement from baseline to Day 56 in lung function of 5 percentage points or more, and approximately 30 percent (11/37) experienced an absolute improvement from baseline to Day 56 of 10 percentage points or more. None of the patients treated with placebo (0/11) achieved a 5-percentage point or more improvement from baseline to Day 56 in lung function. Most adverse events were mild or moderate in severity and comparable between treatment and placebo groups. The study is ongoing and complete data, including statistical analyses for all patient groups, will be available in mid-2012. Stock to resume trading at 7:50.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PuddinHead42 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24839 of 24982
Subject: Re: VRTX spiking in pre market Date: 5/7/2012 1:12 PM
Crazy reaction, I was lucky enough to sell 50% at just above $60. Will hold rest for possible takeover, will buy back if it feels right later. This happened last, got a big spike, then a long fade between news. This is also the danger of writing calls. I had calls out on 20%, but fortunately they expired in April, was considering more if it could creep up a few more points. volatility is high now, so I might sell some June calls, maybe. June $55 strikes going for $3.50

Author: PuddinHead42 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24840 of 24982
Subject: Re: VRTX spiking in pre market Date: 5/8/2012 4:41 PM
a couple of upgrades, a rec from Cramer and VRTX is up to $64 at the close today. Guess I sold too soon. Still have half.

Fast money in the first day, slow money in day 2, dumb money in day 3 and fast money out. We will see.

People throwing around $4B in sales for the CF drug. It is expected to address 30% of the $70k worldwide cases (=21k patients). Except $200k to $350k for a year of treatment. So, of the 21,000 spread out over the world, how many have insurance that will pay $200k or $350k per year. Sure Europe has socialized medicine, but something like this seems pretty high - I bet you will need to get on a 2 year waiting list before they start shelling out. Love the company, but not sure about the true potential of this drug relative to $4B/year.

Author: buylowersellhigh Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24841 of 24982
Subject: Re: VRTX spiking in pre market Date: 5/8/2012 4:43 PM
Recommendations: 0
OT:

PuddinHead,

Have you looked at MAKO? Any technical analysis on that one?

BLSH

Author: joseph714 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24842 of 24982
Subject: Re: VRTX spiking in pre market Date: 5/8/2012 5:39 PM
I decided to cash in 100 shares to cover my cost basis @ 64.14 late in the day. Have 400 shares I shall let ride since it is now the houses money.

I still will be looking for a take out in the not so distant future, particularly with this wonderful result in the cystic f. drug.

Author: PuddinHead42 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24843 of 24982
Subject: Re: VRTX spiking in pre market Date: 5/9/2012 8:16 PM
Recommendations: 2
Have you looked at MAKO? Any technical analysis on that one?

Have not followed or researched but seen enough to have a feel. The TA term for the current chart pattern is "Super Sucky". this is a typical growth and momentum stock. Great new product, next new something (ISRG) in case you missed the first something, high PE, but higher growth rate and earnings beats to support PE, everyone wants in, little and big guys. Then one day it misses and that's it. People are sour, move to next thing. This is a painful chart, lots of damage to make up. I would not catch the knife soon. Look at Netflix, green mountain, Fossil, etc. Once they tank, you don't know if they will come back. What's the next big thing, that's where this money goes. Maybe MAKO is great 5 years out and provides a buying opportunity now, but you can't tell. Will they miss again?

You want to think it can make it back to where it was, bit gains. If you own you want to average down - very dangerous for growth stocks - great for value stocks. If this is a 5 year stock, then it will have time to prove itself with increasing earnings again and a chart that sets up and breaks out on high volume, that is when you buy a growth stock.

http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/gallery.html?mako

Author: PuddinHead42 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24846 of 24982
Subject: Re: VRTX spiking in pre market Date: 7/14/2012 10:07 PM
Recommendations: 0
http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/gallery.html?mako

MAKO continues to punish. As I mentioned, very dangerous to catch growth stock falling knives, the often keep falling and this one did.

Although, when you look at the volume, you might think there are no sellers left ;-)

There are a kajillon stocks out there, you don't need to bet on this one. How will Obamacare affect this - will reduced reimbursements keep hospitals from buying the RIO units? Bankruptcy is certainly possible with continued European disaster and other uncertainties that scare us all, including hospital administrators and people that loan hospitals money to buy expensive machines.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement