Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I just picked up a side job as an adjunct professor at Elon University. When I accepted, I requested that I get a 1099 so it'd be easier to deduct the mileage on a Schedule C (as a contractor). However, they put me on a W-2, so it appears as if I'm an employee. Can I still put the mileage and wages (as well as other expenses) on a Schedule C? I'd like to stay off of itemizing the mileage as an 'unreimbursed business deduction' since it's subject to the 2% floor, thereby eliminating most of my deduction. If there's not a way to get it on Schedule C, I know that I'd be allowed to take an above the line deduction of $250 as 'Educator Expenses,' but that's not much. I doubt I'll spend that much anyway (unless mileage could be contrued to be allowed as an educator expense). Anyway, what do you suggest? Thanks for your help.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.