Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: W2 Question Date: 4/5/2011 6:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am associated with a 501C3 organization that hired its first paid employees last year. The organization has all the Federal stuff, but we have not received the State ID number. So filling out W2s completely is not possible. We have asked the State officials and they reply "It just takes time." Obviously the employees want to file their taxes before April 15th. Any suggestions?

Gordon
Atlanta
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Wradical Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 112992 of 121219
Subject: Re: W2 Question Date: 4/5/2011 7:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I am associated with a 501C3 organization that hired its first paid employees last year. The organization has all the Federal stuff, but we have not received the State ID number. So filling out W2s completely is not possible. We have asked the State officials and they reply "It just takes time." Obviously the employees want to file their taxes before April 15th. Any suggestions?

Gordon
Atlanta

================================
When you say State ID no., with respect to W-2s, it means the tax account number for filing/paying withholding taxes, not any of the tax-exempt stuff.

So, have they been withholding state taxes from the employees? And not remitting them to the state? That's a can of worms all by itself.

If they have been withholding and paying in the taxes, how have they done it? What kind of forms, and what number have they used on them?

And if they haven't been withholding state taxes, just don't make an entry on the W-2.

And get them done ASAP.

Bill

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 112993 of 121219
Subject: Re: W2 Question Date: 4/5/2011 7:51 PM
Funds were withheld in Q4. Application/form made to state in December. Payment to state not due until January. Hard to pay money without numbers for the forms.

So yes it is a can of worms, but not the can you were suggesting.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 112994 of 121219
Subject: Re: W2 Question Date: 4/5/2011 8:02 PM
Recommendations: 1
Funds were withheld in Q4. Application/form made to state in December. Payment to state not due until January. Hard to pay money without numbers for the forms.

Oh, I'm sure there was a way. I'm reminded of the parents on Judge Judy who refuse to admit that their delinquent little angels have ever done a thing wrong. The organization messed up. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, it's not the end of the world, but making excuses isn't going to fix it.

Just put "pending" in the state number field on the W-2's and be done with the danged things. If someone bothers to look at the state instructions for the withholding return they'll probably find that this is also the approach they should have used when the payment to the state was due January 31. (I assume that was the due date.)

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 112996 of 121219
Subject: Re: W2 Question Date: 4/5/2011 8:19 PM
Phil thank you very much - Now I must confess -- I am not really the person associated with the organization - my wife is. And I did not know about the problem until 5 minutes before my post - but it was just easier to post as if I was the guilty party so to speak.

Again Sir -- thank you for all your support and help on this board.

Gordon
Atlanta

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement