Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 1000nam One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121095  
Subject: W4 Exemptions to reduce withholding Date: 3/22/2001 9:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have substantially higher wage income in 2001, compared to 2000. Under the safe harbor rule, I need to have 100% of my 2000 taxes withheld in 2001, to avoid paying interest on under withholding. (I don't fall under the 108.6% provision for high AGI.) I am planning to have my withholding reduced to equal 2000 taxes by taking additional exemptions. I can postpone paying the difference until April 15, 2002 and earn additional income in the meantime. The W4 worksheets allow you to calculate additional exemptions if your expected itemized deductions will be higher than standard deduction.

Can I also take additional exemptions to reduce my withholding to equal 2000 taxes? Is this an appropriate use of exemptions?

Do I need to ensure that at leat 90% of 2001 taxes are withheld or am I safe in withholding 100% of 2000 taxes, which will be much lower?

Do I need to explain to my employer or IRS why I am taking substantially higher number of exemptions on my W4? I figure I have to take about 10 extra exemptions (at $3,000/ exemption) to reduce withholding to 2000 level.

Thank you in advance for your time and willingness to share your expertise.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement