Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MrKTabb Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121316  
Subject: W4 Question Date: 11/14/2000 5:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We used to be a single income family, but now my wife is working. I was claiming 14 exemptions and was wondering with the new job, I know that my exemptions need to come down, but I'm not sure by how much. I used the W-4 calculator to come up with the new number, but does that number apply to both jobs?

--Kaylin
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41809 of 121316
Subject: Re: W4 Question Date: 11/14/2000 7:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<We used to be a single income family, but now my wife is working. I was claiming 14 exemptions and was wondering with the new job, I know that my exemptions need to come down, but I'm not sure by how much. I used the W-4 calculator to come up with the new number, but does that number apply to both jobs?>>

I'm not sure WHICH W-4 calculator you used, so it's difficult for me to comment.

But generally, the spouse with the lower income will claim married-0. The spouse with the higher income will claim all of the exemptions.

If the W-4 calculator doesn't help you out, try IRS form W-4 at the IRS web site. The instructions are pretty clear, and you can actually prepare the computations right on the form. It might make a little bit more sense than just plugging numbers into a calculator.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Author: MrKTabb Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41874 of 121316
Subject: Re: W4 Question Date: 11/16/2000 7:55 PM
Recommendations: 0
So after running the numbers on the worksheet itself, you are saying to turn in that number of exemptions for the higher paying job and then have the lower paying job claim married-0? I just want to make sure I'm clearly understaning you.

--Kaylin

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement