Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have not yet received a W-2 from one of my employers. When are they supposed to be here? I have January 15, January 31, and February 15 floating around in my head. And is the deadline for sending them or for me receiving them? I want know when to start complaining.

Alan
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
If I recall correctly, an employer is suppose to "furnish" the W-2 no later than January 31, but that could mean dropping them in the mail on January 31.

If you don't receive your W-2 by January 31, you might try calling that employer and verify that they sent the W-2 to the correct address.

The IRS has a FAQ on their web site: "1.15 IRS Procedures: W-2 - Additional, Incorrect, Lost, Non-receipt, Omitted
What is the deadline for my employer to get my W-2 forms to me?"
http://www.irs.gov/faqs/page/0,,id=15895,00.html
The deadline for sending out W-2 forms is January 31. My employer includes them with the end of month pay stub. Others send by mail.
So 2 of my dates were correct. After January 31, you get to complain to your employer and after February 15, you get to complain to the IRS.
Thanks for the info.

Alan
If you have trouble obtaining your W-2 from your employer you can file a "Substitute W-2" using information from your last pay stub for example, but IRS will not accept the "Substitute W-2" until after February 15. They want you to make every effort to obtain a real W-2 from the employer.
Advertisement