No. of Recommendations: 0
Nick,

I have ben on several interviews lately and two seemed very positive. The companies said that I would be hearing from them. I waited two weeks to hear from my first choice and then called to ask if the position had been filled. The secretary didn't know so she handed me off to the HR person. She remembered me and said that the position had not been filled and that I was one of their top candidates. She explained that they had been waiting for someone to come back from travel before they could make a decision. I had not spoken with the traveler so I was unclear if I should have since he neede to be there to make a decision. I have waited another two weeks whithout any word.

I suppose I have several options -
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
How long should you wait patiently after interviewing for a job?

Not at all.

The best thing to do after you have completed an interview is start doing your research on the NEXT company you're going to approach. Then get on with your next interview. Never cut an employer much slack until after he has given you an offer. Do you think they stop interviewing other candidates after your interview, so they can spend a few weeks thinking about you?

The hiring process in America is, for the most part, inane and irresponsible. Employers will make you wait as long as you're willing to wait. And, when they decide not to hire you, most of the time they won't give you the courtesy of a call. At most, you'll get a stupid little postcard in the mail that says, "Thanks for spending several hours of your life meeting with us. We presently have no need for you, nor do we care. We suggest you go look for a job elsewhere. Sorry, but we don't even remember your name. But we'll keep your resume on file in case we want to waste your time again in the future. Like four years from now. Sincerely yours, A Personnel Jockey"

Get on with your life.

Now, there is one other thing you can do. Make it clear before your interview is over that you want to work for the company, ask the manager if he's convinced you can make his business more profitable (it's your responsibility to convince him during the interview - if you haven't, the failure is yours and you need The New Interview Instruction Book.), get a commitment from him (or her), agree with the manager to a decision deadline, and tell him you'll count on him to stick to it just as he can count on you to get the job done if you're hired. Then hold him to it. Never call personnel to find out what's up. Call the manager directly.

It's called playing hardball.

- The Headhunter

On Fri, 18 Apr 97 21:35:16 -0600, y wrote:
<<
Nick,

I have ben on several interviews lately and two seemed very positive. The companies said that I would be hearing from them. I waited two weeks to hear from my first choice and then called to ask if the position had been filled. The secretary didn't know so she handed me off to the HR person. She remembered me and said that the position had not been filled and that I was one of their top candidates. She explained that they had been waiting for someone to come back from travel before they could make a decision. I had not spoken with the traveler so I was unclear if I should have since he neede to be there to make a decision. I have waited another two weeks whithout any word. I suppose I have several options -

continue wating
call the company agian - showing interest in job
give up and look elsewhere

Which do you recomend?
How long is reasonable to wait 'patiently' after interviewing?

>>
Print the post Back To Top
Advertisement