UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884950  
Subject: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/25/2012 3:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
<<They’ve already sold nearly 2 million towels, 1.3 million televisions, and 250,000 bicycles. According to Walmart Chief Executive Bill Simon, over 1.3 million Walmart staffers are on duty. There have been picket lines around the country, but the movement has been far less effective than expected.>>

Once again the hate campaign waged by the United Food and Commercial Workers was a RESOUNDING FAILURE!

Employees and customers voted with their feet and dollars by flooding into Wal-Mart.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DHeavy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869038 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/25/2012 7:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Seattle's Best,

Thanks for starting a Walmart thread. You are my hero.
Action speaks louder than words all day long. Greed is greed.

DHeavy

Author: spl241 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869045 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/25/2012 2:07 PM
Recommendations: 20
<<...flooding into WMT.....sold 1.3 million TV's...250K bicycles. Once again, the hate campaign waged by the United Food and Commercial Workers was a RESOUNDING FAILURE!>>

Impressive sales numbers. I wonder, though, how many buyers whose wages parallel WMT's workers' hourly rates made those purchases--just a thought, that's all.

When it comes to unions, our POV's--like our politics--are worlds apart. Your union "hate campaign" is my union "lean forward." For the sake of some balance to your post about the UFCW, I offer a few facts below which show they're not the heavy-handed, cockeyed army of money-grubbers you portray.

In 2010, UFCW launched "Feeding the Hungry" to donate & deliver 20 million protein servings thru 2013 to help the growing number of people affected by the recession. They have also been a top contributor to the Leukemia Society of America for the last 23 years and received this important cancer research group's first-ever Lifetime Achievement Award in 2004. In 2010, when a Haitian school serving 1350 kids was reduced to rubble by the horrendous earthquake, UFCW joined with Hope for Haiti to rebuild the school, including an upgraded library and PC lab.

So if your view of a "resounding failure" is an inability to thwart the sale of bikes and flat screens, just know that the very same group has fostered many resounding successes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Food_and_Commercial_Work...

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869047 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/25/2012 2:23 PM
Recommendations: 2
Unions - groups of people working together for a collective cause - are inherently evil as are teams and this country (which is itself a union).

Author: snippee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869050 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/25/2012 3:15 PM
Once again the hate campaign waged by the United Food and Commercial Workers was a RESOUNDING FAILURE!

And once again, SeattlePioneer shows a fundamental lack of statistics knowledge.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869052 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/25/2012 4:23 PM

And once again, SeattlePioneer shows a fundamental lack of statistics knowledge

Er... I'm innumerate so I don't claim any knowledge of statistics, but I see Walmart stores packed to overflowing and I've only heard of the United Food and Commercial Workers union because of these posts here on TMF.

SO statistically speaking, how is the United Food and Commercial Workers union's effort not a "RESOUNDING FAILURE"?

Author: snippee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869061 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/25/2012 9:22 PM
Recommendations: 5
I don't claim any knowledge of statistics

And it shows.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869062 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/25/2012 10:31 PM
I don't claim any knowledge of statistics

And it shows.

And thus you completely avoid the issue and the point of my post.

I keep finding that the more we get past the anti-Walmart slogans the less persuasive the anti's arguments are.

Let's face it, Walmart is a world wide successand your union is an also ran.

I wrote:
Er... I'm innumerate so I don't claim any knowledge of statistics, but I see Walmart stores packed to overflowing and I've only heard of the United Food and Commercial Workers union because of these posts here on TMF.

SO statistically speaking, how is the United Food and Commercial Workers union's effort not a "RESOUNDING FAILURE"?

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869063 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/26/2012 12:05 AM
Recommendations: 1
<< SO statistically speaking, how is the United Food and Commercial Workers union's effort not a "RESOUNDING FAILURE"? >>

Of course it's not.

It's the union and the liberal hate campaign which are failures, but they don't want to admit that.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869064 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/26/2012 12:12 AM
Recommendations: 3
So if your view of a "resounding failure" is an inability to thwart the sale of bikes and flat screens, just know that the very same group has fostered many resounding successes.

Then it should become a charity. The protests by mostly non-WalMart workers during The Thanksgiving weekend was a failure.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869065 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/26/2012 12:23 AM
<< The protests by mostly non-WalMart workers during The Thanksgiving weekend was a failure.>>

Despite the efforts of nay sayers, the zeitgeist is overwhelmingly still with Wal-Mart.

Liberals have prevented Wal-Mart from expanding into some markets, mostly limited to major cities or other enclaves of liberals, but in those cases Wal-Mart simply builds near by and draws jobs and dollars out of those liberal areas.

Even when liberals win, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: snippee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869066 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/26/2012 1:16 AM
Recommendations: 3
your union is an also ran

And the logical fallacies keep on coming.

You accuse "my" union of playing people's emotions when you're doing the exact same thing. You're overrun by confirmation bias. Look it up and try again.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869068 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/26/2012 2:56 AM
Look it up and try again.

No thanks, there's no need.
Everyone else got it.

Author: martybl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869072 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/26/2012 8:40 AM
Recommendations: 11
[I]f your view of a "resounding failure" is an inability to thwart the sale of bikes and flat screens, just know that the very same group has fostered many resounding successes.

I enjoy a lot of your posts, but don't quite get what your point is on this one. The UFCW announced a strike and associated protests against WalMart (WMT) for Black Friday. Something under 1% of employees participated, and protests occurred at under 1% of locations. Despite the heavily publicized strike, WalMart set huge sales records, which sounds like a failure to me. You respond by saying that the UFCW has performed admirable charitable works, which seems completely irrelevant to the success or failure of their strike.

I'm an Oakland Raiders fan, but they're having a disappointing season. Yesterday they lost to the Bengals 34-10. If someone told me that they'd gotten beat, looked bad doing it, and that it was their fourth loss in a row while playing in the weakest division in the NFL, I'd have to agree with them. I wouldn't respond that they're doing a great job of supporting the Alameda County Community Food Bank, which they are. I also wouldn't respond that they've won three Super Bowls, most recently in 1983.

Facts are facts. The UFCW's strike against WalMart was a failure, and the Raiders lost decisively yesterday. Bringing in extraneous information only leads to people talking in skew lines.

martybl

Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869082 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/26/2012 12:29 PM
Recommendations: 0

Employees and customers voted with their feet and dollars by flooding into Wal-Mart.

Seattle Pioneer

The Chinese sweatshops are safe.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869083 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/26/2012 12:50 PM

Is every single Chinese manufacturing plant sweatshops? If not, can you post a link to a website that lists which ones are and which ones are not? That way I can pick the Chinese goods that are not from sweatshops.

PSU

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869084 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/26/2012 12:59 PM
i used to work for a company that bought many parts for their manufacturing process (which was then sold as a component to Avon/lancome/L'Oreal/Johnson & Johnson)
i do not think they were sweatshops, many people in that office visited the facilities.

So some of your creams & lotions are ok

peace & cosmetics
t

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869085 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/26/2012 1:13 PM
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

[I]f your view of a "resounding failure" is an inability to thwart the sale of bikes and flat screens, just know that the very same group has fostered many resounding successes.

... The UFCW announced a strike and associated protests against WalMart (WMT) for Black Friday. Something under 1% of employees participated, and protests occurred at under 1% of locations. Despite the heavily publicized strike, WalMart set huge sales records, which sounds like a failure to me. ...

Facts are facts. The UFCW's strike against WalMart was a failure, and the Raiders lost decisively yesterday.

Some things need repeating.

Good luck to you and your Raiders.
Desert (Facts are facts) Dave

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869086 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/26/2012 1:21 PM

As are all the other American stores that buy and resell goods made in China.

Desert (that's pretty much all of them) Dave

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869087 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/26/2012 1:24 PM
Despite the efforts of nay sayers, the zeitgeist is overwhelmingly still with Wal-Mart.

To some extent against all big box stores. There was much to do about a Target store. I believe, it has opened.

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869089 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/26/2012 3:01 PM
Bringing in extraneous information only leads to people talking in skew lines.

That's sadly a common tactic of those trying to support a losing argument.

xtn

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869091 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/26/2012 3:04 PM

Good. We need them. Their own employees need them. At least we want them more than we want better conditions for employees at Walmart. That's the conclusion I must draw from the record sales numbers occurring despite the negative hype.

xtn

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869099 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 11/26/2012 4:21 PM
I also wouldn't respond that they've won three Super Bowls, most recently in 1983.

Be glad you don't live in Bear country. They won the 1986 Superbowl and I am reminded of this on a nearly weekly basis.

Author: ataloss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870166 of 884950
Subject: Re: Wal-Marts RECORD Sales! Date: 1/5/2013 6:30 AM
Walmart workers need their paychecks so participating in a symbolic strike didn't serve their interests. Locally a few people showed up and carried signs but as far as the news organizations could tell none actually worked at Walmart.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement