UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LEDfan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1951401  
Subject: walmart and buiding code rejection Date: 12/5/2012 9:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
One hundred years ago, America was where Bangladesh is now. As back then uncaring profit whores locked workers in the factory. Ours was the Shirtwaist Factory Fire. Theirs is:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/05/walmart-bangladesh-...

Walmart is no better then the robber barons a hundred years ago.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LEDfan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1842594 of 1951401
Subject: Re: walmart and buiding code rejection Date: 12/5/2012 10:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Shirtwaist_Factory_fir...

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1842595 of 1951401
Subject: Re: walmart and buiding code rejection Date: 12/5/2012 10:21 PM
Recommendations: 3
...a Walmart supplier hired the factory without Walmart's knowledge ... Walmart ended its relationship with the supplier as a result.

Some that worked at the site of the fire have expressed a desire to quickly return to work. Bangladesh's garment industry has created millions of jobs inside the country and makes up the vast majority of the country's export profits, according to a 2010 BBC report.

I don't think that you subject title relates well to the story.

St.P <===== who doesn't shop at Walmart, I like Target, although I don't doubt that Target has a supplier for product in Bangledesh that is using a factory that Target doesn't know about that isn't up to code and might burn down and kill over a hundred people and even with that will have workers who want to go back to work quickly in the factory.

Author: malaoshi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1842610 of 1951401
Subject: Re: walmart and buiding code rejection Date: 12/6/2012 1:02 AM
Recommendations: 1
St Patrick,
The article said that Walmart refused to pay extra to upgrade the safety of the building...THAT is the wrongdoing...not merely the exploitation and getting the cheapest possible clothes.

Who cares if they no longer use that supplier etc etc and assure everyone they pursue safe measures. They are apparently ON RECORD as having refused to upgrade the building to safeguard workers at a time when OTHER companies were very willing to go ahead with improvements. In other words not even pressure from their peer group could move them from their greedy stance.

I'm sad when I think of how much good the Waltons could do with all the money they have, when so many have to scrabble for daily needs.

As I have whined before, they also treat their stateside workers very badly.
I too, St Patrick, like Target...and am glad they also have a fresh foods area in our local store. Please keep shopping there...I am a small shareholder ;)

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1842613 of 1951401
Subject: Re: walmart and buiding code rejection Date: 12/6/2012 6:46 AM
Recommendations: 1
" They are apparently ON RECORD as having refused to upgrade the building to safeguard workers at a time when OTHER companies were very willing to go ahead with improvements. "

What you don't know is how much the factory owners would pay. How long had Walmart used the factory. Did the factory neglect to keep its building a healthy place while it got money from?

I've not heard of a manufacturer's factory needing repairs and a retailer sighing on to pay for upgrades before this.

Author: SpeedBump13 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1842633 of 1951401
Subject: Re: walmart and buiding code rejection Date: 12/6/2012 9:28 AM
How will Obama and the unions be blamed for this?

Right-wingers are
ignorant of history (that murky time before Obama took office),
ignorant of economics,
ignorant of science,
knowledgeable about imaginary beings.

I detect a pattern.

-Wes

Author: Rightime Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1842709 of 1951401
Subject: Re: walmart and buiding code rejection Date: 12/6/2012 2:40 PM

even with that will have workers who want to go back to work quickly in the factory.

I experienced the Garment industry first had in Guatemala back in the 90’s. Most of the workers were women and a lot of children. Sometime later there was popularized outage toward high end clothiers, I think Martha Steward was embarrassed by some of the exposure.

At the time, it was pointed out that Michael Jordan’s endorsement fees for Nike were more than all the combined Nike workers in all Latin America were earning.

I’m not saying anything has changed, but there must be a better way for the world to work.

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1842740 of 1951401
Subject: Re: walmart and buiding code rejection Date: 12/6/2012 5:30 PM
It's simple. Pull all manufacturing back into the US and quadruple prices and leave guatamalians to manufacture for some other country.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement