UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (69) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LurkerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1933071  
Subject: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 6:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
"Walmart's New Health Care Policy Shifts Burden To Medicaid, Obamacare"

snip
"Walmart, the nation’s largest private employer, plans to begin denying health insurance to newly hired employees who work fewer than 30 hours a week, according to a copy of the company’s policy obtained by The Huffington Post.

Under the policy, slated to take effect in January, Walmart also reserves the right to eliminate health care coverage for certain workers if their average workweek dips below 30 hours -- something that happens with regularity and at the direction of company managers.

Walmart declined to disclose how many of its roughly 1.4 million U.S. workers are vulnerable to losing medical insurance under its new policy."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/01/walmart-health-care...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841518 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 6:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This will be happening in many many more companies. LOL

Author: LurkerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841523 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 7:09 PM
This will be happening in many many more companies. LOL

Yep, America, Land of the part time workers...

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841525 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 7:11 PM
Recommendations: 2
And if these workers voted for Obama, this is what they voted for.

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841526 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 7:13 PM
Recommendations: 1
What the libs will never understand is that the market always wins. liberal politicians arrogantly think they can control and manipulate the free market to do their bidding, only to get slapped at every turn. It is a beautiful thing to watch.

Author: LurkerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841534 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 7:24 PM
What the libs will never understand is that the market always wins. liberal politicians arrogantly think they can control and manipulate the free market to do their bidding, only to get slapped at every turn. It is a beautiful thing to watch.

Businesses do not take on unnecessary costs. They are in business to make a profit and to keep their shareholders happy.

Author: FKJacobs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841540 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 7:50 PM
Recommendations: 8
"Businesses do not take on unnecessary costs. They are in business to make a profit and to keep their shareholders happy."

In the current era, I think you need to add exploit workers. To the list of ways companies like Wall-Mart make money.

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841544 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 7:59 PM
"In the current era, I think you need to add exploit workers. To the list of ways companies like Wall-Mart make money"

Yes, those poor victims of the big bad capitalists;-)

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841548 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 8:22 PM
In the current era, I think you need to add exploit workers. To the list of ways companies like Wall-Mart make money.

This isn't Upton Sinclair's model. Wal-Mart doesn't exploit anyone.

Author: malaoshi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841550 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 8:23 PM
Walmart treats its employees very badly and this is just another example. One has to be desperate for a job to work there....but people need jobs.

I will never ever buy a Walmart share or give Walmart my business. The fires in Pakistan are just another example of its greedy, "don't give a S###" attitude to employees and suppliers. To me it represents some of the worst of American values.."Bigger is better. Profit above all"

Compare its policies to policies and treatment of Costco's and Trader Joe's employees.

Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841551 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 8:25 PM
Recommendations: 53

snip
"Walmart, the nation’s largest private employer, plans to begin denying health insurance to newly hired employees who work fewer than 30 hours a week, according to a copy of the company’s policy obtained by The Huffington Post.

Under the policy, slated to take effect in January, Walmart also reserves the right to eliminate health care coverage for certain workers if their average workweek dips below 30 hours -- something that happens with regularity and at the direction of company managers.

Walmart declined to disclose how many of its roughly 1.4 million U.S. workers are vulnerable to losing medical insurance under its new policy."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/01/walmart-health-care......

Let's not pretend that you (or any right winger) give a tinker's dam about whether or not Walmart's employees and whether or not they have health insurance (or decent working conditions). Everything with "you people" is about politics and hating Obama. When you worked you had the union to take care of you and get you decent conditions, but you'd rather not see today's employees get decent wages and decent working conditions.

No pride. No shame.

Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841553 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 8:29 PM
Businesses are in business to make a profit and to keep their shareholders happy at the expense of their workers.

Capitalism in a nutshell.

Peter

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841554 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 8:32 PM
"Capitalism in a nutshell.

Peter "

Peter<---supports mercantilism

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841557 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 8:34 PM
Businesses are in business to make a profit and to keep their shareholders happy at the expense of their workers.

When you get right down to it, stockholders in most corporations don't really have that much power unless the companies are very closely held. A good CEO controls the Board and the Board controls the list of nominees.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841558 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 8:49 PM
Employees are often shareholders.

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841559 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 8:53 PM
Employees are often shareholders.

It's unlikely that WalMart employees are shareholders. Unless, of course, they're in the family.

Author: LurkerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841560 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 9:01 PM
Let's not pretend that you (or any right winger) give a tinker's dam about whether or not Walmart's employees and whether or not they have health insurance (or decent working conditions). Everything with "you people" is about politics and hating Obama. When you worked you had the union to take care of you and get you decent conditions, but you'd rather not see today's employees get decent wages and decent working conditions.

No pride. No shame.

Rant much?

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841562 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 9:11 PM
Rant much?

No kidding. One wonders what the people driving by in their cars were thinking as the crazy man on the street corner kept yelling.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841563 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 9:13 PM
It's unlikely that WalMart employees are shareholders. Unless, of course, they're in the family.

Actually, they are. See "associate stock plan":

http://careers.walmart.com/company-benefits/

Author: MetroChick Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841564 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 9:14 PM
Recommendations: 29
The ability to buy affordable health insurance and/or afford necessary healthcare shouldn't be dependent on what employer one works for anymore than the ability to buy home insurance, car insurance, home maintenance, or car maintenance is. Health insurance isn't a great model, national health plans aren't perfect models either. We used to be a country that found innovative solutions to problems - but unfortunately even with all our college-loan-debt we don't seem to have the brains or the balls anymore to actually solve problems.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841565 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 9:17 PM
The ability to buy affordable health insurance and/or afford necessary healthcare shouldn't be dependent on what employer one works for anymore than the ability to buy home insurance, car insurance, home maintenance, or car maintenance is. Health insurance isn't a great model, national health plans aren't perfect models either. We used to be a country that found innovative solutions to problems - but unfortunately even with all our college-loan-debt we don't seem to have the brains or the balls anymore to actually solve problems.

B.I.N.G.O. The problem is how the situation is perceived.

The left views health care as a government obligation and an entitlement. Therefore, only government based solutions are or will be entertained.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841577 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 10:50 PM
Will this really change anything? Can someone working less than 30 hours a week afford health insurance anyway?

Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841578 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 10:52 PM
Rant much?

Clever.

Author: richieds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841579 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 11:06 PM
Recommendations: 37

So, then, can we assume that Walmart's Health Care plan was humming along before Obama came into the game?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/24/business/24walmart.html?pa...

Back in 2006, it appears WalMart was all over the map trying to solve their health insurance problem....

"Wal-Mart insures fewer than half of its 1.3 million employees in the United States, and it has come under fierce criticism from those who say its benefits are skimpy and result in the cost of health care being shifted to state governments.

In the last two months, the Maryland Legislature has passed a law that would force Wal-Mart to expand its benefits, and a dozen other states, including California, Colorado and Rhode Island, are considering similar bills. Wal-Mart originally planned to announce the new benefit rules later this year, but it rushed the news out this week before the governors' meeting in Washington."

Note that it was State governments taking the hit back then.

"Wal-Mart has never said how many of its employees' children rely on company insurance, but an internal memo written by M. Susan Chambers, Wal-Mart's executive vice president for benefits, disclosed that 46 percent of them were uninsured or on Medicaid."

No kidding? Back in 2006, 46% of the children of Walmart employees were, either, uninsured or on Medicaid?
What nerve of Obama to come along and mess with something that was working so well!!

"News of the changes drew carefully parsed praise from leaders of health care groups like the Center for Studying Health System Change, a nonpartisan foundation in Washington. Paul B. Ginsburg, the center's president, credited Wal-Mart for trying to expand health care offerings at a time when many employers are pulling back on spending."

Interesting that, in 2006, while Walmart was attempting to answer it's critics by expanding it's coverage, other employers were pulling back.
I guess this health care issue is not a new problem created by Obamacare.

"The groups have tried, with apparent success, to turn Wal-Mart into a symbol of what is wrong with American health care, leading to the legislation in numerous states, which is directed squarely at Wal-Mart.

Several of those bills have already suffered setbacks and only a handful have a chance of becoming law, state leaders say, but the bills have touched off a discussion about the future of employer health care plans."

Keep in mind that this is from 2006. There is no Obamacare and no economic crisis.
Yet, apparently, employer health insurance is a sticky issue with a doubtful future.

At least today, those employees that do lose insurance have somewhere to go.
In 2006, they did not.

Author: JavaRunner Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841580 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 11:07 PM
=======================================================================

How does this differ from other companies that don't offer benefits to employees working under 30 hours a week. My company considers full time to be 30 hours a week, and as long as your averaging the 30 hours you have benefits.

Of course we pay better than WalMart.

Charlie

Author: schvitzing Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841587 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/1/2012 11:38 PM
Recommendations: 24
<yawn>

Walmart started cutting health benefits over a year ago.  
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/21/us-walmart-idUSTRE...

To give you some idea of WMT's commitments to its employees, here's a
 brief comparison with much smaller rival COSTCO,taken from each company's most recent 10-K:
                            WMT     COST
pension cost/employee       $342    $2195

Yup, the skinflints at WMT contribute a fraction of what COST contributes per employee.  
They'll use any excuse to screw their workers.

BTW, COSTCO's employees are more productive than WalMart's:

revenue/employee          $202,000  $570,000
optg income/employee       $12,100   $15,900

I wonder if it could have something to do with COSTCO's well-known reputation for 
motivating their employees with decent benefits and working conditions.

Oh, one last thing:

Gross margin %               24.5%     10.6%

Yup [again], COSTCO has lower overall markups than so-called discounter WalMart.     

Don't believe me?  Run the numbers yourself. www.sec.gov

Schvitz

Author: LurkerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841604 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 12:40 AM
Recommendations: 3
Walmart treats its employees very badly and this is just another example. One has to be desperate for a job to work there....but people need jobs.

That's a lie. And many were desperate for a job and Wal-Mart hired them. The missing tooth grin, the obese, the poor dresser. They are the people Costco and Trader Joe would not hire. And these Wal-Mart workers are among the nicest people you will ever meet. Helpful, courteous and eager to please.

I will never ever buy a Walmart share or give Walmart my business. The fires in Pakistan are just another example of its greedy, "don't give a S###" attitude to employees and suppliers. To me it represents some of the worst of American values.."Bigger is better. Profit above all"

Shrug, don't matter to me. I don't own and W-M shares but I shop at W-M all the time. The pharmacy is the same one that had their store across the street. W-M didn't run him out of business they hired him and now he runs his store at W-M. Same with Pay-less shoes and so on. I am a regular shopper at W-M and have become acquaintances with a number who work there and they are very happy with their work conditions and so on. Being you will not step foot in a W-M store how would you know any different that the Union garbage MUS you have swallow hook, line an sinker? Unions are hurting. Their numbers are way down. They can't afford the bloated pensions etc and are doing their damnedest to Unionize the W-M worker so they can extort Union dues from them for their own greed,
The Pakistan fire? A terrible tragedy. It is not the fault of W-M. It is the fault of the Pakistan company. You can go to the finest stores in America, Macy's Nostrums etc and look at the labels on their goods and you will be hard pressed to find a Made in the USA label. So that is no excuse.

Compare its policies to policies and treatment of Costco's and Trader Joe's employees.

lol...Right...no wonder you think Costco is so great. give me a break....This is a friggin joke...

snip
"Susan Brotman, the wife of Costco co-founder Jeff Brotman is an Obama bundler who, according to final campaign finance reports, bundled $508,646 in contributions for the president’s campaign.
Sinegal, a longtime Democratic donor, spoke at the Democratic National Convention, defending President Obama’s economic record. He called Biden’s visit “fantastic” and said the company was flattered, “as you can see he draws quite a bit of attention.”
In general, the donations of Costco employees skew heavily Democratic. But data suggests that if anything, Costco’s shoppers nationally tilt Republican, but not overwhelmingly."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2012/11...

Author: schvitzing Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841605 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 12:55 AM
The missing tooth grin, the obese, the poor dresser.

Don't think WaMart has a dress code? Here's their own PR:
http://news.walmart.com/news-archive/2006/10/20/wal-mart-exp...

Schvitz

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841606 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 12:58 AM
The pharmacy is the same one that had their store across the street. W-M didn't run him out of business they hired him and now he runs his store at W-M.

There is a shortage of pharmacists. To get one to move and run their pharmacy would be very expensive--if they could get one at all. Walmart played "Let's Make a Deal" with him because he had something they wanted very badly. Similar situation with my grandfather and his NYC corner store. The new supermarket bought him out as part of the deal to open across the street.

Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841624 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 8:40 AM
I put that post in the wrong thread. I've asked TMF to pull it. Sorry...

Author: LurkerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841625 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 9:18 AM
Actually the W-M I shop at is one of the stores the employees are starting to wear the shirts and slacks. The look is very nice. Thanks for the link.

snip
“Our associates in the test stores have told us they really prefer the new look because it reflects more pride and makes them feel like part of a team, and customers find it more contemporary and more

"professional,” said Pat Curran, executive vice president for Wal-Mart stores in the U.S. “As a matter of fact, 95% of the associates in our test stores said they wanted to continue the new dress code and encouraged us to take this new look to additional stores.”

“I love it,” said Frances Lucero, a produce department manager at the new Wal-Mart in Chino, Calif. “I don’t have to worry about what I’m going to wear to work, and customers can easily spot our associates when they need help.”

“The associates at our store say it makes them feel better,” said Chanda Sokol, personnel training coordinator in Plano, Texas who has been with Wal-Mart for 14 years. “It was easy to switch over from the vest. This is more comfortable and everyone can get something that really fits them.”

The company will provide each of its U.S. store associates with two polo-style shirts and reimburse associates for one pair of pants or skirt. The Company is creating a website where associates can supplement the items they receive with quality merchandise at cost (shirts for as low as $3- $5 and pants for as low as $10- $15)."

Author: LurkerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841628 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 9:47 AM
There is a shortage of pharmacists. To get one to move and run their pharmacy would be very expensive--if they could get one at all. Walmart played "Let's Make a Deal" with him because he had something they wanted very badly. Similar situation with my grandfather and his NYC corner store. The new supermarket bought him out as part of the deal to open across the street.

I hope your grandfather was happy and satisfied with the deal he was offered.

One thing which surprised me was the 'Festival Foods' food store, a popular chain in Wisconsin opened up directly across the street from W-M. I thought they were out of their mind thinking they could compete with the W-M super market in its store. I guess someone knew what they were doing because the store is thriving and the parking lot is is always full. The Festival Foods store has a wonderful delicatessen which draws a lot of people.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841631 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 10:00 AM
How does this differ from other companies that don't offer benefits to employees working under 30 hours a week.

When W was President during the tech wreck, my hours were cut to less than 30--in fact, cut to 10/week. I also lost my health insurance along with all my other benefits. Meanwhile, my husband had lost his engineering job altogether, and I had been providing health insurance for the two of us. We were 53 years old.

ASIDE
How did we manage? Luckily, the hubster had gotten a job as an adjunct professor, but that came without benefits (and also paid a whopping $11,000 a semester)...our income dove 80% from 6 months earlier. Although it was just his first semester of teaching, DH told his dept chair he needed health insurance in order to stay. The chair made him a visiting professor so he could be entitled to health insurance! And the following semester gave him a 5-year contract as a staff instructor.

EPILOGUE
When his contract was up, hubby was promoted to senior instructor (this was by no means automatic, the application process was a ton of work and had to be approved all the up the chain to the college president). He's retiring this month after 10 years of teaching. With a wee lil pension and group health insurance for both of us for life. Can you believe that evil academia spoiling employees like that!

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841632 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 10:06 AM
The Festival Foods store has a wonderful delicatessen which draws a lot of people.

I know of 3 W-M's where there are local food joints across the parking lots. All are like diners or old fashioned drive-in's and they are all incredibly successful. The one I've been to the most (a couple of dozen times) in PA was an old diner-style place. I spoke with some of the people in the diner including the owner and everyone who goes there is a local or visiting a local. They shop at W-M once a week or so and every time they do they stop at the diner for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

It actually provides them a "gathering place" where people can catch up with each other and it brings a stronger sense of community to the area. I was always fascinated by these places and I always enjoyed going there immensely. Everyone was so friendly and warm to me, even though I didn't live in any of the communities. The one in PA was near a favorite fishing spot of mine which is why I was there that often and they had the best breakfast deals I've ever had at a restaurant.

Calabogie

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841634 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 10:23 AM
Exactly what we all knew would happen with 0bamacare. More to come.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841635 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 10:27 AM
And if these workers voted for Obama, this is what they voted for.

Thing is, while they were drooling for 0, they were too stoopid to consider thoughtfully the consequences of 0 care on themselves and their families. They just wants they free stuff! This is what you get with an uninformed, unedcuated, gullible electorate, the kind of people who voted for 0bama.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841636 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 10:31 AM
Businesses do not take on unnecessary costs. They are in business to make a profit and to keep their shareholders happy.

And they will pass any unecessary and burdensome government regulations and taxation and fees and mandates on to their customers, many of which adversely and disporportionately affect the very people they think they are trying to help. They are oblivious to the law of unintended consequences and to the fact that people change their behavior when government intervenes in their lives and business.

Socialism has failed everywhere its been tried. We see where and how socialism plays out in Greece and other places. Stoopid!

Author: juliewinter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841643 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 11:17 AM
Can you believe that evil academia spoiling employees like that!
______
Great story of an institution doing what it SHOULD do.

jwinter
adjunct without benefits

Author: LurkerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841647 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 11:51 AM
The Festival Foods store has a wonderful delicatessen which draws a lot of people.

I know of 3 W-M's where there are local food joints across the parking lots. All are like diners or old fashioned drive-in's and they are all incredibly successful. The one I've been to the most (a couple of dozen times) in PA was an old diner-style place. I spoke with some of the people in the diner including the owner and everyone who goes there is a local or visiting a local. They shop at W-M once a week or so and every time they do they stop at the diner for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Another interesting aspect of the W-M store is across the road from them are the two strip Malls which were built since W-M moved into Town. There now is a chain Sporting Goods store, the name of it escapes me right now, a Kohl's dept. store, a Lowe's, I love that store, a Starbucks a couple chain Restaurants and the assorted small business you usually see in strip malls. The reason why I have been told is because of the drawing power of people going to the W-M store. There was enough people traffic to warrant the building of the stores.
This town was sorely hit by the downturn in the economy causing the closing of 'Mirro' the industry making pots and pans etc. and lay offs of other prominent business in the area.
The Town of Manitowoc is making a come back and a lot of the credit is due to W-M.
I am always amused when I see the Union MUS propaganda of W-M and what a terrible company they are along with the bashing of the Walton's and their money. W-M is no different than any other company staying ahead of the curve.
I'm sure improvements can be made and no doubt W-M is working on them but the naysayers had better look to the fact of the millions of jobs W-M has created opening their stores and the untold numbers of jobs created by business moving into the area taking advantage of the W-M drawing power of shoppers.

Author: 99lashes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841653 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 12:53 PM
How does this differ from other companies that don't offer benefits to employees working under 30 hours a week. My company considers full time to be 30 hours a week, and as long as your averaging the 30 hours you have benefits.

Of course we pay better than WalMart.

Charlie

I run a small business (6-7 employees).

I granted "benefits" to those considered critical to running the office, so far it is 3 employees. None of them work full time, averaging 24-35 hours per week, depending on the week. Still they get benefits of some sort,even the others get some kind of benefits as negotiated, yet they have all begun to take more time off (and getting paid by using up Personal Time Off granted in a chronic fashion) and doing so very regularly, that they no longer work the hours they used to, yet receive the same benefits. I have referred to them as my "County Employees" and reminded them that "County Employees" have taken several pay cuts and benefit reductions in the last few years, while they have had no such cutbacks. They think I am being mean and retort back that I haven't given them a raise in the last 3 years. I told them not laying them off, not reducing their salaries or benefits, and not reducing their hours in this climate was generous on my behalf because I am the one who took home less money, not them. The local temp agencies and listings of those seeking employment show they are all asking 10-15% or more below my employees present hourly.

I am feeling taken advantage of and I suspect they all need a reality check.

Such is the nature of the beast, it is not always the employer as the heavy. That only occurs when they finally have to act. I guess I am too nice and/or a wimp employer. Obama-nomics will change that soon enough.

Author: jwiest Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841654 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 12:57 PM
No pride. No shame.

I think it's more like "False pride. No shame."

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841676 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 2:46 PM
heh heh...Costco....you have to pay an annual membership fee!....heh heh..just to be able to buy GIANT sizes.

Yeah...the get more revenue per employee...but you buy more stuff in bulk!.... Costco doesn't sell a pack of napkins...you've got to buy a years supply!.......or a small container of sugar..you need to buy ten pounds or more. Same for cereal.....

Most folks don't need giant sizes and shop at Walmart......and most folks don't even have to money to buy and waste half of what they buy at Costco.....

Then you compare the two? ONe selling one and two size items vs someone selling in gallons and 20 packs and boxes that weigh 10 or 20 lbs each?

gimme a break. Two different models.

It's like bulk vs individual service. want 10,000 gallons of gas? Heck you can get it for 40c a gallon less.......than buying 10 gallons....

I shop at the Walmarts here all the time.....the neighborhood market and two super centers...... buy my groceries and some other stuff there. Get my prescriptions filled. 10 buck generics.....

What did you expect when government mandated $14,000 insurance policies for family coverage for workers making $18,000 a year? or maybe 25,000 a year type employees?

The entire fast food industry will shift to mostly part timers....under 30 hours......

That means a large percentage of the population will see their income drop and their benefits eliminated due to ObamaKare....but they can get a second or third part time job to make ends meet...

t.

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841679 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 2:49 PM
One thing which surprised me was the 'Festival Foods' food store, a popular chain in Wisconsin opened up directly across the street from W-M.

http://www.festfoods.com/

Not a surprise. A store offering products and varieties not available at Walmart will do quite well near to a Walmart--because it is supplementary to what Walmart sells and can feed off the traffic Walmart draws in. Meantime, other grocery stores will lose business because of that draw.

There is a possible major change in shopping coming up in the next couple years and it will be interesting to see how/if Walmart responds. They stand to lose a *lot* of business if they do not change the way they do business--and there is nothing they can do about it if they do not change.

Walmart is experimenting with it now--and failing big time. I do not have to guess, I see it failing to draw regular customers right here.

Author: LurkerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841699 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 3:59 PM
Not a surprise. A store offering products and varieties not available at Walmart will do quite well near to a Walmart--because it is supplementary to what Walmart sells and can feed off the traffic Walmart draws in. Meantime, other grocery stores will lose business because of that draw.

There is a possible major change in shopping coming up in the next couple years and it will be interesting to see how/if Walmart responds. They stand to lose a *lot* of business if they do not change the way they do business--and there is nothing they can do about it if they do not change.

Walmart is experimenting with it now--and failing big time. I do not have to guess, I see it failing to draw regular customers right here

The name of the game is competition. W-M has had great success, but other Retailers (? not sure if that is the correct usage of the word I am looking for) will eventually figure out marketing strategies that will entice shoppers to shop with them.
I have noticed W-M is offering more name brands and a better quality clothing line as well as sheets, towels etc...at least where I shop.

The nearest shopping Mall with the higher end stores are 30/35 miles one way from where I now live. So a large population of people like me appreciate stores that offer a variety of goods without having to travel long distances. When I lived in Milwaukee I lived within a few minutes from a nice shopping mall and blocks of strip malls feeding off the people traffic. There was a W-M nearby as well. Interesting to me now was I listened to the propaganda how bad W-M was, so I never shopped there.

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841710 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 4:48 PM
The nearest shopping Mall with the higher end stores are 30/35 miles one way from where I now live. So a large population of people like me appreciate stores that offer a variety of goods without having to travel long distances.

Malls look at housing density to determine how close to build another. If you are in a smaller town, you may be considered within the draw area of na existing store, so a new one will not be built nearer--until a competitor builds another store nearer to the edge (thus pushing the radius out for target customers).

When I lived in Milwaukee I lived within a few minutes from a nice shopping mall and blocks of strip malls feeding off the people traffic. There was a W-M nearby as well. Interesting to me now was I listened to the propaganda how bad W-M was, so I never shopped there.

Precisely proving my point. You had lots of OTHER choices nearby that met your needs. Now you don't live there. So you have to plan trips to the store rather than just do it on a spur of the moment or as part of a regular shopping routine. I think I have 8-12+ grocery stores within 3-4 miles--including a Target and Kmart with mini-areas selling food--but no big box store of any other type. Those are 6-12 miles away and include several Sam's Clubs, Costco, Walmarts, SuperTargets, and more. My favorite spot is a moderate mall with Cub Foods (Supervalu), Rainbow Foods (Roundys), Target, (you see the other two from any door of any of them) and Aldis just 3-4 blocks away--in yet another moderate strip mall with more dollar stores and other misc stuff I don't really use (but convenient if I do choose to use them). Southdale is maybe 10 miles. MOA is maybe 12 miles.

Author: CairnDad Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841719 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 5:16 PM

The market always clears. If WalMart was paying below market wages, they would lose workers to someone else. Except for any distortions caused by the minimum wage and regulations, WalMart is paying a market wage.

Author: CairnDad Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841724 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 5:31 PM
When you get right down to it, stockholders in most corporations don't really have that much power unless the companies are very closely held. A good CEO controls the Board and the Board controls the list of nominees.

I would be good with any regulation that increases shareholder rights.

Author: CairnDad Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841725 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 5:33 PM
The ability to buy affordable health insurance and/or afford necessary healthcare shouldn't be dependent on what employer one works for anymore than the ability to buy home insurance, car insurance, home maintenance, or car maintenance is. Health insurance isn't a great model, national health plans aren't perfect models either.

It shouldn't be. But it is, thanks to wage and price controls that allowed companies to compete for labor only on health insurance. If the government hadn't screwed it up years ago, the market would have developed normally.

Author: bufftrainer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841727 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 5:43 PM
When you worked you had the union to take care of you and get you decent conditions

Nah, absent the union UnionMommy would just have taken a job as a rocket scientist or maybe systems engineer. Hey, she grew up in the same neighborhood and attended the same schools as Bloomberg and Powell. All such a person has to do is be talented and apply oneself, you know?

Author: bufftrainer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841728 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 5:46 PM
Yeah, and as an employee you have immense influence in CAT's boardroom, right?

Author: LurkerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841730 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 5:53 PM
Nah, absent the union UnionMommy would just have taken a job as a rocket scientist or maybe systems engineer

Better that than pumping dumb bells all day for a living. No brains needed for a job like that.

Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841741 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 6:57 PM
For years, WalMart has relied on safety net programs to supplement the income of their employees. This is more of the same, nothing new.

Author: bufftrainer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841746 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 7:09 PM
Did you make $150/hr genius? LOL, I didn't even need a union.

Author: bufftrainer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841748 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 7:11 PM
For years, WalMart has relied on safety net programs to supplement the income of their employees. This is more of the same, nothing new.

TAKERS

Author: LurkerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841750 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 7:17 PM
Did you make $150/hr genius? LOL, I didn't even need a union.

Nope, and neither did you.

Author: bufftrainer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841753 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 8:00 PM
Ah, you blame growing up in Harlem and the schools there, yet in your generation Bloomberg and Powell both came from that very neighborhood and those very schools, as did numerous successes I know in Manhattan. Then, while waddling around a summer community where you must remain while the neighbors leave for a habitable climate, you revert to more MUS about someone currently residing in his second home in the South Seas. Like a call recently received by my wife from a serial stalker, it strikes me as a transparent, pathetic cry of jealous anger. Just be grateful for what your union got you. It's ok, lot's of folks did worse.

Author: bufftrainer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841754 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 8:01 PM
Oh, by the way:

http://personaltrainercentral.com/trainers/profile.plx?ID=36...

Author: schvitzing Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841763 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 9:13 PM
Recommendations: 4
heh heh...Costco....you have to pay an annual membership fee!....heh heh..just to be able to buy GIANT sizes.

I guess you didn't notice that my post was about employee benefits [and the resultant corporate benefits], and NOT about consumer preferences.

BUT, since you brought it up, we shop at Costco periodically, mainly to stock up on such supplies as tissues,toilet paper, aluminum foil, trash bags, detergent and the like, as well as meats, which we freeze in our 36" side-by-side fridge. And, we have no problem storing stuff in a closet in our 1600 sq ft apartment. As to the giant size only myth, it's a myth. Sure, you can buy humongous sizess. Howevr, many of their items are just twin-packs--like peanut butter or sea salt; other come in four or eight packs--4-7oz cans of tuna in olive oil [7 oz cans, not 5]; 8 1/b boxes of semolina pasta. And, BTW, their $16 Kirkland dress shirts are of excellent quality [I shopped at Brooks Brothers for decades].

As to the annual fee, we more than save it when we buy their rib eyes and racks of lamb on any single visit. A rack of lamb costs about $22/lb in Manhattan. The very same New Zealand lamb is $11/lb at our local Costco. We always get 5 1-lb packages.

Anyway...

Schvitz

Author: LurkerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841772 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 9:50 PM
Recommendations: 5
Ah, you blame growing up in Harlem and the schools there, yet in your generation Bloomberg and Powell both came from that very neighborhood and those very schools, as did numerous successes I know in Manhattan. Then, while waddling around a summer community where you must remain while the neighbors leave for a habitable climate, you revert to more MUS about someone currently residing in his second home in the South Seas. Like a call recently received by my wife from a serial stalker, it strikes me as a transparent, pathetic cry of jealous anger. Just be grateful for what your union got you. It's ok, lot's of folks did worse.

In part I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Next, if your wife is receiving unwanted calls I suggest you have 'caller ID' installed on your phone and have the calls traced. Both are easily done. Problem solved.

Now, I don't understand why you are so concerned over my Union wages. You have brought it up time and time again. Why may I ask? Perhaps you should be aware my money in part was made through 30 years of buying GE stock and dividend reinvestment, and stock bought weekly through payroll deduction. I was involved in 5 splits, the last being a 2 for 1 split. The price of GE stock was over $100 dollars a share around the year 2000. 1999 and 2000 I started cashing stock in. The money was falling out of the sky. Thank you GE.

http://boards.fool.com/wouldnt-you-know-id-find-the-article-...

I had been buyng GE stock since 1978 and had more than $10,000 dollars invested in GE stock at the time of the post I linked to. btw...I still have a lot of GE stock of which I receive nice quarterly dividend checks from...so if you are eating your heart out over my Union wages, don't, eat your heart out over my investments in GE stock. No brag, just fact.

Oh, and I won't even mention DH and his career. I don't want your head to explode. Yes, this kid from Manhattan has come a long way...and for some reason, it bothers you.

Author: bufftrainer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841778 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 10:09 PM
I don't have a clue

How true. A solution to this minor annoyance is in the works.

Author: LurkerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841782 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 10:45 PM
Next, if your wife is receiving unwanted calls I suggest you have 'caller ID' installed on your phone and have the calls traced. Both are easily done. Problem solved.

As you may know the use of a calling card makes the call untraceable, but I know who it was and I'll solve the problem ok. It's in the works. Lawyers are expensive UnionMommy, but I've budgeted a mil for this one. The othert side will run out of money on her own lawyer.

Knock your brains out and spend your money. I could care less. I'm not the least bit worried over your insinuations and attempt to slander me. I will report this to TMF.

Author: bufftrainer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841783 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/2/2012 10:46 PM
Never punch above your weight Anita.

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841809 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/3/2012 5:15 AM
Walmart started cutting health benefits over a year ago.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/21/us-walmart-idUSTRE......

To give you some idea of WMT's commitments to its employees, here's a
brief comparison with much smaller rival COSTCO,taken from each company's most recent 10-K:
WMT COST
pension cost/employee $342 $2195

Yup, the skinflints at WMT contribute a fraction of what COST contributes per employee.
They'll use any excuse to screw their workers.

BTW, COSTCO's employees are more productive than WalMart's:

revenue/employee $202,000 $570,000
optg income/employee $12,100 $15,900

I wonder if it could have something to do with COSTCO's well-known reputation for
motivating their employees with decent benefits and working conditions.

Oh, one last thing:

Gross margin % 24.5% 10.6%

Yup [again], COSTCO has lower overall markups than so-called discounter WalMart.

Don't believe me? Run the numbers yourself. www.sec.gov

Schvitz

and better stuff for less money per unit. I was in there yesterday, and I agree whole heartedly Costco's employees seem much happier than Walmarts and more helpful and efficient.

I think I am going to have to take a look at their stock again.

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841810 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/3/2012 5:27 AM
Back in 2006, it appears WalMart was all over the map trying to solve their health insurance problem....

If my memory serves me correctly, Wal-Mart is all for Obamacare, the reason being, although not stated, they will not have to pay for it, which kind of forces those of us who were paying for it all along to supplement them too, or pretty much making it unaffordable and thereby forcing those companies to do likewise (except for those of us who have union employees, which will ultimately bust the union, because their employers won't be able to compete, if they don't go non-union).

Couple that with the unholy alliance of politicos and gangster like companies using the equivalent of slave labor, now being your competition, looks like we have the equivalent of 19th and 20th century Sicily on our hands gone international.

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841811 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/3/2012 5:41 AM

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't suppose it has occurred to either of you that businesses and shareholders also take full advantage of the government doing their bidding, and for a vast majority of the megoliths, they want anything but a free market, but moats and laws that make what is legal for them not legal for thee (or very expensive to say the least) and government guarantee of their debt and bailouts when they can't pay up for something they either never funded in the first place and/or gave the market more weight than it was worth in goal to grow earnings fast enough to fund them.

But let us all keep deluding ourselves likewise.

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841812 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/3/2012 5:46 AM

Capitalism in a nutshell.

Peter

I don't suppose it has ever occured to you that the government is no different except it has granted itself the power to loan itself money by printing money to fund their empty promises and political class and favored business/government partnerships and have the taxpayers pay a fee to the entity that prints it and loans it to them.

The more that entity prints and loans the more the fee. Good work, if you can get it.

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841819 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/3/2012 6:57 AM
"Susan Brotman, the wife of Costco co-founder Jeff Brotman is an Obama bundler who, according to final campaign finance reports, bundled $508,646 in contributions for the president’s campaign.
Sinegal, a longtime Democratic donor, spoke at the Democratic National Convention, defending President Obama’s economic record. He called Biden’s visit “fantastic” and said the company was flattered, “as you can see he draws quite a bit of attention.”
In general, the donations of Costco employees skew heavily Democratic. But data suggests that if anything, Costco’s shoppers nationally tilt Republican, but not overwhelmingly."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2012/11......

This is true LM, but what are your thoughts on Jeffrey Immelt and GE's cozy relationship with Obama?

Are you not benefiting from all of that?

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841820 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/3/2012 7:03 AM
To schvitz:

I stated I would have to check into Costco. I did.

It seems this one time increased dividend payment they are offering in DEC is going to suck the cash flow out of their company. I am guessing they are doing it to do it when capital gains are lower, if Obama gets his way and/or doing it to make it seem increased capital gains will not deter companies paying dividends. This has resulted in a high PE not based on anything but investors getting in on this one time bonanaza or thinking this dividend will continue.

What appears to be a well run company may effect their ability to increase wages and expand and/or like Walmart they see the healthcare expenses they now foot will be handed over the government.

IMHO

Author: LurkerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841836 of 1933071
Subject: Re: Walmart's New Health Care Policy... Date: 12/3/2012 9:06 AM
This is true LM, but what are your thoughts on Jeffrey Immelt and GE's cozy relationship with Obama?

Are you not benefiting from all of that?

To tell you the truth that is a hard question for me to answer. Perhaps for the company as a whole but for me in particular, probably not. My benefits have not changed except for two pension increases. I guess though if the company is doing well it helps. I have not followed Immelt's career nor have I paid much attention to GE as a whole. About the only thing I pay attention to now is what the quarterly dividend will be.
I actually had to google to find Immelt's track record. The GE lay offs continue and more GE jobs shipped overseas, but that is the norm with large corp, I fear.
GE benefits from all of the prez green energy programs and take advantage of the tax breaks. I don't know if Immelt had a hand in these green energy programs or not.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (69) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement