Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tpault Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49704  
Subject: Re: An open letter to Tom and Dave. Date: 1/30/2002 1:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 13
Walt: I am writing this post to inform you the I will not be using the free one year membership that you have offered.

I wondered whether or not there would be some who turn down the free membership.

In my opinion this is a clear cut case of discrimination. I'm not sure it's legal to charge different people, different prices, for the exact same service.

And at very least, TMF is making a loud statement about how much, or little they value you. If you didn't make the cut, at very least you can say that you fall below the 1,000th position on their list of people who they like.

And if you did make the list, you can probably feel somewhat used, and party to a system that hurts other's feelings. We're told we're supposed to be a community, but apparantly one of differing classes. I would not go on a free trip to WDW if someone said my presence there would enhance that community and help entice others to come and pay, but my daughter can't come for free since she won't enhance it that much and so she'll have to pay. That would be so insulting it's not funny.

And if I wouldn't stand for it in regards to my daughter, why should anyone think it's okay to do their friends the same way. Unless we're not really supposed to concern ourselves with the other guy, which in that case, it's not a community at all anyway and only a business.

I would also say that the majority who stay should realize that the boards will not be the same one that they are paying (or getting free) and that almost everyone will need to modify their personnas. Almost without exception, those who actively post are beligerant in some way, including myself at times.

And that's not worth paying for.

I would personally not consider it an honor to receive something for free if it meant others that weren't getting it are literally considered unworthy by management.

I applaud your decision Walt. You're an upstanding guy.

Paul T.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement