Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DrtThrwingMonkey Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 214567  
Subject: Re: MidAmerican Minority Interests Date: 3/7/2013 4:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Walter Scott is one of the signatories of the Giving Pledge meaning that he has pledged at least half of his net worth to philanthropy. Therefore, at some point it is likely that his interest in MidAmerican will have to be at least partially liquidated to facilitate those gifts.

Buffett and Scott are approximately the same age. It would not surprise me to see Berkshire acquire the remaining minority interests in MidAmerican to facilitate Scott's estate planning situation. However, my guess is that Berkshire would have to pay with stock to make this tax efficient.

The Giving Pledge does not involve a commitment to give one's wealth during one's lifetime, so it may be some years before the Scott estate has to decide what to do with MidAmerican shares. One option would be to donate the shares, which could then be purchased by Berkshire for cash.

If Scott wished to donate to some charitable venture during his lifetime, he could still give shares and have them repurchased by Berkshire, without the need for any issuance of Berkshire stock. Or alternatively, now that the buyback taboo has been broken, Berkshire could just purchase Berkshire shares on the open market to finance the tax-free transfer of Berkshire shares in exchange for MidAmerican shares of an equivalent value. In that case, I can see no reason for Berkshire's share price to be a factor in the decision to buy out the minority share of MidAmerican. The challenge would be to determine a mutually acceptable price for the MidAmerican shares.

Regards, DTM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement