Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Okay, I'm very much the neophyte in tax matters. I get a lot back every year because (I think) I have a few deductions (mort, charitable contribs) and I claim "0". I've always been afraid of owing Uncle Sammy because until this year I wasn't the sort of person to have any financial cushion. Now I'd rather have my money working for me during the year. So can I (single, no dependents) claim "1"? Can I do this now in the middle of the year and start seeing a slight increase in my paycheck immediately? Do I do this on the W4?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.