No. of Recommendations: 0
Want to see if I can transfer stocks into any sort of retirement account and if so how much per year.

As Fuskie mentioned, I believe all retirement accounts must be funded with cash contributions or via a rollover/transfer from an existing retirement account.

Where do you hold these stocks now? Are they in a taxable account? Are they in a retirement account? If so, what type of account?

As for the retirement accounts available to you, it sort of depends on your work situation. Do you have a 401k, 403b or something similar through your employer? Are you self-employed? If so, you can have a SEP-IRA that has higher contribution limits. If you have a 401k or similar vehicle sponsored by an employer, that pretty much leaves you with the Traditional IRA and Roth IRA as retirement savings vehicles that may be tax advantaged. Other than that, the only thing that I can think of would be a Health Savings Account but I don't know much about those.

Any reason you don't want to keep the stocks where they are now?

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.