UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14985  
Subject: Re: How to choose a city/suburb? Date: 7/16/2014 9:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Warehouse space is necessary for parking truck and trailer, and holding all the supplies for that month's work. Also as a receiving point for the supplies. Space needs office room and amenities.

You may find warehouse space parking truck(s) and trailer(s) inside a pain after a long shift. Would a paved parking lot do? It'll be cheaper to rent.

But, yes, you'll want to have a space to store/receive supplies. You should be able to find what you want in an industrial park. Most industrial park rentals have an office with bathroom in the front and a larger warehouse space in the rear.

UPS has a bad habit of leaving packages on doorsteps when no one is there to receive them. You don't want that in an industrial park so you'll want to have someone there to receive the packages.

When I first started out I did flea markets (retail) on weekends and had a street corner (later built a store there) weekdays. I knew my UPS driver's route and would try to intercept him before opening my roadside stand. With a business address you won't have that problem. When we opened the second store I switched all deliveries to that address to avoid confusion.

Also as a business to business operation you don't need to worry about being where retail customers can see you. But you will want to let businesses know you exist.

Business cards are a good cheap way to do this. Include a business card with every order/invoice you deliver. Yes, a lot of them will be thrown away, but they'll have your card the next time they need your services.
http://boards.fool.com/business-cards-as-an-advertising-medi...

When I first got started an old businessman told me "If you don't have a yellow pages ad you're not in business." That day is long gone. Nowadays the same could be said for a web page.

You DON'T need a big expensive website. Google has free build it yourself sites and there are many other free websites available. Some even offer drag & drop construction. No need to hire an expensive website guru, you can do one yourself in HTML or get a friend to do it.
https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=blogger&...

Good luck!

Dave (any more questions, just ask) Dave
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement