Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55938  
Subject: Warning, Cake Mix Size Has Changed Date: 12/5/2012 8:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
From NOLA.com’s Judy Walker’s column, “Sneaky! Cake mix sizes have changed; recipes based on them may not work”

By Judy Walker, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on November 28, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Danger, danger. Before you reach for that mix to make your favorite holiday cake, please be forewarned: Without telling anyone, the big three cake-mix manufacturers have downsized their mixes. . . .

See; http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2012/11/sneaky_cake_mix_s... for whole story.
;-(

C.J.V. - figured y’all might want to know, me
Print the post Back To Top
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54759 of 55938
Subject: Re: Warning, Cake Mix Size Has Changed Date: 12/5/2012 4:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Another one, huh?

Well, let's see--off the top-of-my-head, there's:

peanut butter--the standard jar was 18 oz. Now it's 16 oz.

spaghetti sauce--used to be a 28 oz jar. Now it's 24 oz.

tuna--used to be 6 or 7 oz cans. Now it's 4 or 5 oz.

ice cream--the 'half-gallon' cartons were 16 1/2 c. servings. (8 cups) Now, it's 14 servings (7 cups).

canned beans and vegetables used to come in a standard 1 lb. can--now it's 14 to 15 oz cans.

before I gave up gluten, I used to get Dreamfield's pasta--a box was 16 oz. Last time I noticed it was 13.25 oz.

Of course, the size of candy bars has progressively shrunk, while the price has progressively increased. If you haven't purchased a single bar in awhile--be prepared for sticker shock. I used to get one for 25 cents just a few years ago. Last time I bought one--a couple of months back, it was 79 cents.

On the bright-side--now that nearly everything has decreased in size, maybe the recipe adjustments won't be necessary--use a half jar of peanut butter to a box of cake mix....since they're both smaller....it won't matter...(just kidding....sorta)

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54760 of 55938
Subject: Re: Warning, Cake Mix Size Has Changed Date: 12/6/2012 12:23 PM
I guess I'll need to start downsizing my pans.

Author: rharmelink Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54761 of 55938
Subject: Re: Warning, Cake Mix Size Has Changed Date: 12/6/2012 1:20 PM
We had a problem with a microwave fudge recipe a few years ago. Very simple -- just stick a mixture of a can of condensed milk and a bag of chocolate chips into the microwave a melt them down, with a touch of vanilla, mixing from time to time. Then chill.

It turned out VERY soft and sticky.

We later found out the "the bag" of chocolate chips was supposed to be an 18 ounce bag, but we had the new standard 12 ounce bag.

When we used 18 ounces of chocolate chips, they turned out beautifully.

Now, if they downsize the 14 ounce can of condensed milk down to 10 ounces, mixing with a 12 ounce bag of chocolate chips would work. However, that would require a change in the microwave timing -- an issue I've had with microwave bags of popcorn getting downsized.

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54762 of 55938
Subject: Re: Warning, Cake Mix Size Has Changed Date: 12/6/2012 2:58 PM
The pumpkin fudge I made for Thanksgiving was also a bit too soft and needed to be refrigerated...I used the ghirardelli white chocolate baking chips instead of the nestle white chocolate morsels that the recipe called for--looking at the package weights, the ghirardelli chips came in an 11 oz pkg whereas the nestle comes in a 12 oz pkg. So...that's something I'll have to take into consideration next time. Everyone loved the fudge regardless, but I think it could've been firmer.

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54763 of 55938
Subject: Re: Warning, Cake Mix Size Has Changed Date: 12/6/2012 8:16 PM
pumpkin fudge

Recipe?

Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54764 of 55938
Subject: Re: Warning, Cake Mix Size Has Changed Date: 12/6/2012 10:02 PM
Recommendations: 2
Duncan Hines Yellow Cake Mix Clone
Makes equivalent of 1 box of mix

3 cups cake flour
2 cups superfine sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup shortening
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons imitation butter flavoring
10 drops yellow food coloring
1 1/3 cups water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs

To make the mix: Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Combine shortening, vanilla, and food coloring with an electric mixer in a small bowl.

Spoon shortening mixture into dry ingredients and beat well with mixer on medium speed. Mix until no chunks of shortening are visible. The mix should resemble cornmeal. This is your cake mix, which you can keep in a sealed container for several months until you are ready to make the cake.

To make the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the sides and bottom of two 9 inch baking pans or one 13x9 inch pan. Lightly flour pans.

Blend dry cake mix with the water, oil, and eggs in a large bowl on low speed until moistened. Increase to medium speed and beat for two minutes. Pour batter into pans and bake for 30-33 minutes for 9 inch pan, 35-38 minutes for 13x9 pan. Cupcakes take 19-22 minutes.

Author: rharmelink Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54765 of 55938
Subject: Re: Warning, Cake Mix Size Has Changed Date: 12/6/2012 11:33 PM
Recommendations: 1
Makes equivalent of 1 box of mix

LOL. Isn't that the topic? What is the size of 1 box of mix? :)

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54766 of 55938
Subject: Re: Warning, Cake Mix Size Has Changed Date: 12/7/2012 2:21 PM
pumpkin fudge

Recipe?

Posted it a few threads back--pay special heed to my follow-up in the thread:

http://boards.fool.com/pumpkin-fudge-30385508.aspx?sort=whol...

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54767 of 55938
Subject: Re: Warning, Cake Mix Size Has Changed Date: 12/7/2012 2:29 PM
What also might've affected the softness was the fact I went with the 7.5 oz jar of Marshmallow Fluff brand marshmallow creme instead of the 7 oz. (Kraft brand of) creme called for in the recipe--that, coupled with the 11 oz vs 12 oz bag of white chocolate probably added to the softness.

However--I will admit--of all the things I brought to Thanksgiving dinner--the one this everyone kept returning to and commenting on was the pumpkin fudge--asking how I made it, etc. I think of everything served, it went the quickest--including the turkey. I placed a walnut half on each square (in addition to the walnuts used in the recipe) and I think that increased the appeal--everyone in my family seems to love walnuts.

The fudge was such a success I'm going to try to make a similar type of eggnog fudge (by 'similar' I mean with marshmallow creme--7 oz jar this time--and white chocolate chips)

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54768 of 55938
Subject: Re: Warning, Cake Mix Size Has Changed Date: 12/8/2012 9:54 PM
All the more reason to bake from scratch instead of using mixes.

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54769 of 55938
Subject: Re: Warning, Cake Mix Size Has Changed Date: 12/9/2012 7:31 AM
Recommendations: 1

True dat, but I gots a number of old recipes that use the mixes as a basis such as;
RUM CAKE

1 cup chopped pecans
1 Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
1 Instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup . . . .;

Mocha Rum Cake

Cake:
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder or instant coffee
1/2 cup hot water
1 (18 1/2 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1 (3 3/4 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup . . . . ;

And

Pistachio Pudding Cake

1 box Yellow Cake Mix (Duncan Hines )
1 box instant pistachio pudding
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup chopped . . .

I don’t bake cakes often but I’ll occasionally make a rum cake or pistachio pudding cake for church and my post is mainly fur udder folks that bake similar cakes.

C.J.V. - gonna try jamesmw ’s Duncan Hines Clone recipe fur my next run cake, me

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54770 of 55938
Subject: Re: Warning, Cake Mix Size Has Changed Date: 12/9/2012 10:54 AM
True dat, but I gots a number of old recipes that use the mixes as a basis such as;

RUM CAKE

1 cup chopped pecans
1 Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
1 Instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup . . . .;

Mocha Rum Cake

Cake:
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder or instant coffee
1/2 cup hot water
1 (18 1/2 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1 (3 3/4 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup . . . . ;

And

Pistachio Pudding Cake

1 box Yellow Cake Mix (Duncan Hines )
1 box instant pistachio pudding
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup chopped . . .

I don’t bake cakes often but I’ll occasionally make a rum cake or pistachio pudding cake for church and my post is mainly fur udder folks that bake similar cakes.

C.J.V. - gonna try jamesmw ’s Duncan Hines Clone recipe fur my next run cake, me

So the DH cake mix was 18.5 oz and is now 16.5 oz or ~90% of the original size. The impact on the recipes would be the following:

use:

3 eggs + 1 egg white (or yolk) instead of 4 eggs

3.3 oz of pudding (or 85% of a 3.9 oz box--which for some reason the jello pudding is according to the Kraft site) instead of the 3.75 oz

7 TB + 1/2 tsp water instead of 1/2 c.

just under 1 1/2 tsp. espresso--more like 1 1/3 tsp

14 TB pecans (oh heck, just use the full cup--extra pecans are a good thing)

and so on.....

You get the idea....sure it's a big PITA, but if you really want to make the recipe, just go roll with the punches and adapt it. Alternately, something I might do--is to email the recipe to customer service at Duncan Hines and then let them make the adjustments...that might wake the company up to the fact there are some unintended consequences of its effort to increase margins.....

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54771 of 55938
Subject: Re: Warning, Cake Mix Size Has Changed Date: 12/9/2012 5:34 PM
RUM CAKE

Sounds like you and Sandra Lee might share an ancestor ;)

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54772 of 55938
Subject: Re: Warning, Cake Mix Size Has Changed Date: 12/10/2012 8:51 AM

I have a number of Christmas cookie recipes that have been in the family since the 1930s & 40s. The last 6 or 5 years, I found that some of them, such as my recipe for spritz cookies, no longer bake properly using the modern margarine. The original recipe used butter but also worked well using the margarine of the 40s (back when you bought a 1-pound block of white margarine and had a capsule of yellow dye that you had to mix in yourself to make it look like butter) and 50s. After a number of these problems the last few years, I have been using real butter for all my cookie baking now-a-daze, me.
;-)

C.J.V. - been eating trans-fats fur da last 70 or 69 years and it ain’t killed me yet, no

Author: blueberryhill Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54773 of 55938
Subject: Re: Warning, Cake Mix Size Has Changed Date: 12/10/2012 5:29 PM
CJV, welcome to the butter club. I figure if I am still here I will probably make it to the end butter or no butter LOL...

Blue (old)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement