Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (139) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: HaltCatchFire Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 196277  
Subject: Re: Liberty vs. equality Date: 12/27/2009 7:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 100
Warning: I'm feeling frisky tonight.

I am thoroughly unimpressed with the linked article. It's a typical regurgitation of Republican Party talking points. I won't even honor it with the title "Conservative".

The suggestion that the Senate health care bill was "rushed through" is prima facie ludicrous. They have been debating this for months. This is the opposite of "rushed". The TARP bill last fall was rushed. This was nothing of the sort. That, and the House and Senate bills still need to be reconciled, so this isn't law yet.

The author of the article isn't happy with how the Senate majority leader went about getting his party members in line. I'm reminded of the old saying that "lovers of the law and sausage should watch neither being made." It's clear to everyone (well, everyone who has been paying attention) that getting health care reform passed has been on the Democratic party agenda. This means that votes for said reform are valuable. Legislators trade votes for such items for what they want. This is how things get done in our system. If this is news you then you should have paid attention in high school civics class.

And finally we have the old strawman that "we can't afford it." Never mind that the proposal is supposed to be revenue-neutral and we already spend 2x as much per capita than the #2 nation and still have measurably worse outcomes in terms of infant mortality and life expectancy.

You might find this a more balanced account on the health care bill here:
http://www.usnews.com/money/blogs/flowchart/2009/12/24/how-t...

Since this is Christian Fools I'm going to get Biblical on you.

Christ, in parable of the sheep and the goats, had this to say (Matthew 25:34-40, emphasis mine):

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Quote from the NIV taken from here:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+25&v...

Note the emphasized words in verse 36. "I was sick and you looked after me." Not "you provided equality of opportunity to me." Millions of my brothers right here in the United States lack decent health care. As a Christian I feel it is my obligation to do better by them. We can afford trillions to kill people in Iraq and Afghanistan. We can afford trillions to prop up the crooked banks. We can afford this. We can't afford not to do this. I feel strongly, as my Lord's dutiful servant, that we need to do this.

Arguing about "loss of freedom" as a reason not to is absurd. The loss of freedom experienced by a debilitating illness not covered by insurance is worse. I've already addressed this argument here:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=27906996

Respectfully,

- HCF
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (139) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement