Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFHunzi Big red star, 1000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6776  
Subject: Re: Wills, etc in case something happens to me Date: 7/19/2000 7:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Warning: rambling thoughts ahead

I'm really enjoying this topic because my husband and I are getting ready to revamp our wills and add trusts if we find them appropriate. Our challange is the guardian/trustee issue. Our families live thousands of miles away, and I'm less than thrilled with the idea of ripping our kids out of their house to move to the other side of the country, and while we initially chose one of our siblings as guardian, I can see our parenting styles have diverged quite a bit over the years. None of the other siblings would be even close to acceptable. And yes, I realize it doesn't have a family member but we don't really have any friends we'd be comfortable asking either. The one person I'd truly trust to act as either guardian or trustee or both is my babysitter, who has been like a mother to me the past 11 years, but I'm not sure it's fair to ask her to assume this responsibility at a time she and her husband might be looking to retire. I do think I'm going to discuss it with her though.

Right now our trustee is my hubbie's mom, and she would be great, but I am concerned about her health and how long we could possibly need a trustee. My younger one is only 6. We also might have a few greedy dysfunctional souls show up to attempt to take advantage of the situation, so I need to make sure we do this right.

Sigh, what to do when there's no one to choose?
Always ;-)
Hunzi
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement