Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Warning: this is really long and it's a rant.

I was planning a post along these lines, but the board is so hard to keep up with that I haven't really had time.

I find that if I go to a "mainstream" restaurant there is *perhaps* one vegetarian item on the menu and it might not be something I want.

I usually end up putting together a variety of vegetables, but it just doesn't feel like a real meal. There's a NYTimes 2 star restaurant in my neighborhood and one Thanksgiving or Christmas a friend took me there as a Christmas gift -- nothing vegetarian on the price fixe menu so I ended up with shrimp risotto without the shrimp -- boring. (I did have a nice appetizer and nice desert.) As I recall the price was something like $40 each (+tip). (The man who took me is a real carnivore and though he loves me he thinks I eat weird stuff and hopes that this is just a temporary phase -- 12 years now!)

Another trip to the same place -- I ordered a nice appetizer (mushroom tart as I recall - one of their specialties), 4 vegetables and a desert. Remember, this is a fancy restaurant and they served my 4 vegetable in separate little dishes (just like in a cafeteria). I told the waiter to bring me a plate (not very nicely, I'm afraid) and I put each of the 4 veggies on the plate and handed back the 4 dishes. The bill, by the way, was over $100 with no drinks but with a couple of large bottles of Pelligrino(sp?).

I resent being forced to put together whatever I can find from the "real" menu -- like an order of plain pasta and an order of spinach w/ parmesan on the side. Then whoever's paying has to pay a premium for all these side dishes. I've come to hate going out to dinner. (It's fine to go to a vegetarian restaurant if your companions are vegetarians, but that's not always so. And fancy restaurants tend not to be vegetarian.)

Sure there are Italian restaurants, but the non-meat/fish dishes tend to be very high fat so I still end up unhappy.

In spite of all this I do pretty well in New York, but when I travel I have real problems. I end up having a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches (yes, I still eat dairy) and french fries. For dinner I end up with a baked potato, mushrooms and a vegetable (fresh, if I'm lucky) and the cost for my meal is higher than for the meals with meat.

Because I eat so many vegetables, I'm really picky and so often what I get in restaurants just isn't up to "my standards." I don't consider the fast food places an option because I don't want a taco unless there's a large and really good salad to go with it.

There's more, but I really must do laundry. If you got this far with me I'm grateful.

Thanks. I think I feel better. But I could get wound up again without warning (and I probably will)...

>^..^<

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement