Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
warrl:
Another factor is that most working people live in relatively expensive areas of the country. There are over 2,000 counties, and half the population lives in only about 200 of them. (I actually had exact figures once.) And even within those 200, there are huge variations in population density and the cost of real estate with, naturally, most people in the more expensive places - because that's what makes them more expensive.

And a retiree doesn't have to live close to his (former) job.

So a great many people, as they retire, can sell their house and moving to an equally nice or nicer house (and perhaps a smaller easier-to-maintain one since they don't need room to raise kids) in an equally nice or nicer neighborhood with an equally pleasant or better climate and a convenient level of access to amenities both urban and rural - and, in the process, put a large wad of cash in their pocket.

Using this strategy is what will allow me to FIRE at 50-52 as apposed to 55-56. Moving to a rural area outside the city limits will keep property taxes low. Having an energy efficient smaller home would considerably reduce my expenses.

Another added benefit will be having all 3 kids out and on their own. Even with LBYM techniques, it's amazing how much I still spend on them.

decath
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement