Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SoftSimp Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: was a good idea, anyway Date: 8/6/2003 4:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hi mazske,

I really liked the idea of this board and added it to my favorites when I read about it.

Unfortunately, it appears that it's going to be another high volume, low value board. Please feel free to drop me a note if it appears that the board is getting back on topic. For now I'm going to spend my time elsewhere.

I suppose high traffic is better than no traffic, though, right? :)

Have fun!

SS
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tdxUVA Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59 of 5069
Subject: Re: was a good idea, anyway Date: 8/6/2003 4:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Hi mazske,

I really liked the idea of this board and added it to my favorites when I read about it.

Unfortunately, it appears that it's going to be another high volume, low value board. Please feel free to drop me a note if it appears that the board is getting back on topic. For now I'm going to spend my time elsewhere.

Have fun!

SS

I think this is b/c everyone here is very enthusiastic about this board. Give it a day or two, and the volume shoudl slow to a normal rate, and be fairly on topic.

-tdx

Author: FoolMeOnce Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 68 of 5069
Subject: Re: was a good idea, anyway Date: 8/6/2003 5:32 PM
Recommendations: 14
SoftSimp writes:

Please feel free to drop me a note if it appears that the board is getting back on topic. For now I'm going to spend my time elsewhere.

It might be premature to pronounce a board dead after only a half-dozen threads. Perhaps instead of giving up so soon, you would like to posit a nice on-topic post?

Regards,
FMO

Author: FoolNBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 76 of 5069
Subject: Re: was a good idea, anyway Date: 8/6/2003 6:48 PM
Recommendations: 5

I really didn't like the idea of this board. I had two reasons:

1. Every other spin-off board on TMF from the REHP board has withered away and thus getting excited about this one would be foolish.

2. The ideas meant to be expressed her are applicable to the REHP board and a new board just fragments the community.

All the threads so far could easily have been posted (and would likely have the same quality responses) on the REHP Board. While the OT posts over there do not bother me (love reading the boards threaded, one click and I'm on to the next!) I understand that we "wannabes" do not have the time to read and keep up on all of them. Still, easy to ignore and they keep the successful FIREes around to answer our on-topic questions so that we can learn from them and their success.

As it is, I've "favoritized" this board and now have yet another board to check each day. I hope it does succeed and if it too withers that those here will not hesitate to post on-topic on the REHP board. For all it's flaws, the REHP board's community does rally when on-topic issues are brought forth.

Best of luck.

FoolNBlue (Who became a wannabe his first day on the job)

Author: FoolMeOnce Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 83 of 5069
Subject: Re: was a good idea, anyway Date: 8/6/2003 7:20 PM
Recommendations: 6
FoolNBlue writes:

Every other spin-off board on TMF from the REHP board has withered away and thus getting excited about this one would be foolish.

Of course reasonable people can disagree.

The ideas meant to be expressed her are applicable to the REHP board and a new board just fragments the community.

As far as I am concerned the REHP Board deserves to be fragmented. In fact it already has been.

All the threads so far could easily have been posted (and would likely have the same quality responses) on the REHP Board

They could have, but they weren't. Wonder why that is? When you have the answer to that question you will realize why this board deserves a shot at success. I for one am willing to help make it so.

Regards,
FMO

Author: mazske Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 91 of 5069
Subject: Re: was a good idea, anyway Date: 8/6/2003 8:12 PM
Recommendations: 1
I really didn't like the idea of this board. I had two reasons:

1. Every other spin-off board on TMF from the REHP board has withered away and thus getting excited about this one would be foolish.

2. The ideas meant to be expressed her are applicable to the REHP board and a new board just fragments the community.

All the threads so far could easily have been posted (and would likely have the same quality responses) on the REHP Board. While the OT posts over there do not bother me (love reading the boards threaded, one click and I'm on to the next!) I understand that we "wannabes" do not have the time to read and keep up on all of them. Still, easy to ignore and they keep the successful FIREes around to answer our on-topic questions so that we can learn from them and their success.

You gave two good reasons for not liking the idea for this board. However, I'll give some reasons I like the idea for this board.

The REHP has been floundering. Sure, there are many, many great posts in the archives, but like many posters there say, it's all been talked about already. Yes, if someone asks a question, it will always get a good answer. However, I may go several days without checking the boards and when I check the REHP, there would be OT posts galore that I didn't have time to read.

The amount of posts here in the first few hours has surprised me, but I think it'll slow down over time. I hope the board survives and I expect it to as well. I consider this board to be a compliment to the REHP board.

The REHP board is what really got me thinking and planning about FIRE. However, I have seen so many good, quality posters leave the board in a bad way due to several reasons that I don't want to go into here.

I hope this board remains civil. I hope the OT posts are kept to a minimum. However, there is nothing wrong if my hopes don't hold true. This could become like a water fountain in a big company where us FIRE Wannabees gather and we chat about anything and everything, with relative FIRE posts thrown in occasionally.

The beauty of working towards FIRE is that everyday should bring something different. I work a job where each day is different from the one before me. I'll try relay some of my job experiences from time to time if there is an interest. I'm a police officer and one good thing amidst all of the bad things about this job is that we can retire semi-early. Of course, most police officers don't and can't take this option, but some do.

Let's see how the board evolves today and tomorrow. If it's still going good come September, we should really have a good idea where it's headed.

Hey, if nothing else, maybe txdUVA, Phantomdiver and mazske can all get together for a coffee one day. If a friendship or two is forged from this board, then all the better. Let's see, FMO and mssmith12, if I remember correctly, are all also in my somewhat neck of the woods. Is it too early to plan a pre-FIRE gathering one day? It may be, as I stay so busy working and enjoying the family, that I can't half find the time to visit my family that's a few hours away.

Author: FoolNBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94 of 5069
Subject: Re: was a good idea, anyway Date: 8/6/2003 8:22 PM
Recommendations: 4
<<l the threads so far could easily have been posted (and would likely have the same quality responses) on the REHP Board>>

They could have, but they weren't. Wonder why that is? When you have the answer to that question you will realize why this board deserves a shot at success. I for one am willing to help make it so.

FMO, I think I am much better at taking in stride the "bickering" that occurs on the REHP board. If the thread was started on the REHP board, would not people reply to it? I think they would have. I've seen very few (can't even recall one offhand) on topic post that was not dealt with in a helpful manner -even from the "worst" offenders. Heck, Galeno, despite all his hee-hawing, would offer helpfull posts. I think you did get dealt some bad card when it came to RE investing; however, I also was able to come up with my own opinions having heard both sides. Heck, I have the utmost respect for Intercst but still bought my house! He is just a bit stubborn on his view on RE but the average reader can see through that and make their own judgement! I mean, people seeing FI/RE are not meek!!!

I'm not rooting for the demise of this board. It's a "fav" of mine now. I still think the better path would be the creation of on-topic posts on the "parent" board. At this point in the game I've got the technical knowledge needed to RE; what I want is the inspiration, encouragement, and comraderie that this/these (RE Wannabe, MOOTFL, REHP) offer. Being a FIRE wannabe can be a lonely road!

FoolNBlue (Who has both FMO and Intercst in his fav list -no fighting allowed)

Author: FoolMeOnce Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 98 of 5069
Subject: Re: was a good idea, anyway Date: 8/6/2003 8:41 PM
Recommendations: 10
To FoolNBlue: Very well put.

I was amazed at the early response to Mazske's effort. What I see is a lot of previous lurkers and a few old hands (a good mix by the way) that are pouring out their hearts, raising good questions and relating in a way which shows a level of open-mindedness not encouraged at the REHP. Why is this happening? I believe that the culture at the REHP board is intimidating to many. Hell, even I am reluctant to post over there occasionally since I anticipate the normal onslaught of demagoguery, falsehoods, personal attacks, rudeness, arrogance etc. that my posts seem to inspire. Over the last year or two the REHP board has permanently lost many valuable posters. There have been numerous none-too-subtle hints from many posters about the damaging effects of disrespect for other's ideas, the encouragement of discussion of off-topic and volatile subjects and the cultivation of a board culture which values rude, inflammatory and juvenile exchanges. All have fallen on deaf ears.

For this reason I very rarely post original content there anymore. I am looking for a better place. Apparently I am not alone. This board will develop or not. If it fails, it will not be because I have not given it a good effort.

Regards,
FMO

Author: sunrayman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 100 of 5069
Subject: Re: was a good idea, anyway Date: 8/6/2003 8:56 PM
Recommendations: 1
I am going to keep on eye on this place too. There were way too many OTs on the REHP board. Everyone has limited time, I have even less patience!

¤~sunray

Author: galagan Big gold star, 5000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 141 of 5069
Subject: Re: was a good idea, anyway Date: 8/7/2003 10:45 AM
Recommendations: 10
FMO and others -

I'd advise that rather than spending time talking about the shortcomings of the REHP board, we should all just continue focusing our energy on making this board as good as it can be, whatever shape that ends up taking.

Other splinter boards have gotten caught up on their REHP origins and seem to get stuck, or at least end up having big arguments that waste time. I hope that doesn't happen here.

dan

Author: FoolMeOnce Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158 of 5069
Subject: Re: was a good idea, anyway Date: 8/7/2003 2:31 PM
Recommendations: 0
galagan writes:

I'd advise that rather than spending time talking about the shortcomings of the REHP board, we should all just continue focusing our energy on making this board as good as it can be, whatever shape that ends up taking.

Other splinter boards have gotten caught up on their REHP origins and seem to get stuck, or at least end up having big arguments that waste time. I hope that doesn't happen here.

I agree. You will note that I did not raise the subject of the other board. I did respond to those that did; just as you have. I would be very happy if the subject remains closed.

Regards,
FMO

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement