Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
was browsing another board, where a poster had written a post complaining about the hassles of being vegan. They had recently gone to Las Vegas, and had been
relegated to eating lettuce, since the $2.95 buffets didn't provide many vegan options. This was apparently taken as a personal affront by the poster, who came
across as sounding very self-centered and bratty.... "How DARE they not think of MY needs!".

I'm afraid I agree with the poster. Part of the Las Vegas draw, the mystique, are these large all you can eat buffets. So, if *I* was to got here, I would be losing out on my expectations(fed by the Vegas promotions/advertisements) if there was nothing I could eat. Wahts more, if I called the place I was going in advance and told them of my needs, to be assured that I would be able to eat there, and than discover that there were 2 dishes on a buffet of 100 that I could eat(the typical token dishes around here are hummus and salad) I would be understandably annoyed.

Let's face it, if you go to a hotel, the staffs job IS to cater to your needs. Now, they may decide that catering to vegans is not cost effective, in which case their front desk staff must be aware of this so as not to assure a vegan that their needs will be met. (The same would be true if someone who kept kosher had called and was assured there would be something, and was reduced to eating lettuce and raw veggies).

When I go out to a restaurant, I grill the staff on available dishes. To meat eaters, this seems to be 'making a big deal' out of it. The most commong comment being "Why are you asking whats in the cream of brocolli soup!?" Which, 9 times out of 10, has chicken broth in it - and most waitresses don't know.

I find no problem with being pushy, I am paying for a meal, I have a right to make sure the meal matches my expectations. I don't expect a restaurant to cater to my needs, I expect a restaurant to either provide food I can eat(and thus will pay for) or not(and thus I don't eat there).
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement