Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Grey1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121572  
Subject: Wash Rule Question 2... Date: 12/13/1999 8:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If you buy a stock on day 1, and sell at a loss on day 20. Does the wash rule apply?

Thanks in advance,

Grey1
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23048 of 121572
Subject: Re: Wash Rule Question 2... Date: 12/13/1999 8:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
If you buy a stock on day 1, and sell at a loss on day 20. Does the wash rule apply?

For the wash sale rules to start kicking in, you generally need two purchases and a sale, a potential loss, and to have some stock left when these are all done. So in your example, wash sales don't apply since all you did was buy and sell.

--ptheland

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23104 of 121572
Subject: Re: Wash Rule Question 2... Date: 12/14/1999 5:54 PM
<<If you buy a stock on day 1, and sell at a loss on day 20. Does the wash rule apply?>>

As ptheland notes, only if you purchase "replacement" stock. Read more about the wash sale rules in the Taxes FAQ area.

TMF Taxes
Roy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement