Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: csaag Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121482  
Subject: wash sale? Date: 6/10/1999 12:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
if you buy and sell a stock for a profit,
then buy it again but sell for a loss (all within
the time limits)
Does this have any wash sale implications?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16207 of 121482
Subject: Re: wash sale? Date: 6/10/1999 1:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Regarding #16204, no it doesn't. You sell stock at a profit, you pay tax on the gain. You buy again and lose, you may be able to offset that loss against previous gains and against ordinary income, depending on the amounts.

Take a peek at the Tax FAQ's, and also at your Form 1040 Instructions, Page D-3.

Author: edcosoft Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16213 of 121482
Subject: Re: wash sale? Date: 6/10/1999 5:21 PM
if you buy and sell a stock for a profit,
then buy it again but sell for a loss (all within
the time limits)
Does this have any wash sale implications?

Yes. It is not a wash sale. To be a wash sale you must still have a position in a stock that you did, or will, sell other shares at a loss, within 30 days, at the end of the year. ( I think I covered that in a minimum of words. Did I forget something?) Ed

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement