Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Gordogato Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121256  
Subject: Wash Sale Question Date: 6/1/2012 4:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a stock that I own in my Roth IRA account, which would be a 5% loss if I sold it today. I think that I might rather own this stock in my regular brokerage account, because it's a foreign dividend payer, and I don't get to take the tax credit for foreign tax withholding on my dividends if it's in my IRA.

The question is, since I'm selling from my IRA and re-buying in my non-IRA account, do I still need to wait 30 days for the wash sale rule? I wouldn't get the capital loss deduction anyway since the sale is in an IRA, right?

If it was the other way around (selling for a loss in a regular account, re-buying in my IRA account), I would want to wait 30 days so I could claim the capital loss, right?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116200 of 121256
Subject: Re: Wash Sale Question Date: 6/1/2012 4:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The question is, since I'm selling from my IRA and re-buying in my non-IRA account, do I still need to wait 30 days for the wash sale rule? I wouldn't get the capital loss deduction anyway since the sale is in an IRA, right?

If it was the other way around (selling for a loss in a regular account, re-buying in my IRA account), I would want to wait 30 days so I could claim the capital loss, right?

Correct on all fronts. In order to have a wash sale you must first have a sale with a recognized loss. Since gains and losses are irrelevant (for tax purposes) in an IRA, there's no worry.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: Gordogato Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116222 of 121256
Subject: Re: Wash Sale Question Date: 6/5/2012 11:48 AM
Recommendations: 0
Correct on all fronts. In order to have a wash sale you must first have a sale with a recognized loss. Since gains and losses are irrelevant (for tax purposes) in an IRA, there's no worry.

Thanks for the confirmation, Phil!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement