Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bigreturn99 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120820  
Subject: Wash Sale with Options?? Date: 12/6/2000 8:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I bought 900 shares of (XYZ stock) (a long time ago). I have been writing calls against the stock and they have always expired (worthless, i.e. I made the entire "written price" and for tax purposes I recognize this as a "Short Term Gain" with a trade date equal to the expiration date. My question arises this month because I sold 9 contracts of the DEC 45 Calls for $1 and I am assuming the calls will be valued around $5 at the time of expiration. Assuming this is the case, I am going to Buy-To-Close the position for a loss of $4 per contract or a total loss of (9 contracts x $4 = $3,600). For tax purposes this is a "Short Term" loss of $3,600 with trade dates equal to the sell-to-open date and the buy-to-close date. However, in actuality I am going to sell the JAN 50 Calls. I need to know if the "WASH RULE" applies to this trade (i.e. Am I allowed to recognize the "Short term Capital Loss for the DEC 45's" or do I have to carry this forward to the JAN50's)?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42550 of 120820
Subject: Re: Wash Sale with Options?? Date: 12/6/2000 11:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Your question is really whether the January calls are "substantially equal" to the December calls.
If they aren't, and I believe that a December call is NOT the same as a January one, then you have sold different things and there is no wash sale.
Best wishes, Chris

Author: zman49 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42554 of 120820
Subject: Re: Wash Sale with Options?? Date: 12/6/2000 12:57 PM
bigreturn99,

Greetings and welcome to the Motley Fool message boards.

I agree with the previous response. I would not consider the situation to mentioned a wash sale, but there is no firm guideline about how to determine when two options are "substantially identical."

I also wanted to make sure you were aware there are other tax rules which may apply. If there were less than 30 days to expiration at the time you sold the calls you will have created a "straddle" by the IRS definition. This could prevent you from claiming the loss this year or it could require you to claim the loss as a long-term loss instead of a short-term loss.

I wrote up an explanation of the tax implications of covered calls some time ago. It is at

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=12322382

Although I am not a tax professional I believe the information in that post is accurate and a little easier to read than the IRS equivalents.

Good Luck,
Z

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement