No. of Recommendations: 0
Any tips or tricks to washing the wall before I paint?TFYH Jim
Print the post Back To Top
Any tips or tricks to washing the wall before I paint?TFYH Jim

I really hate painting (at least when it's a matter of something that really needs to be done!!) - but have to address it, soon. :(

A really decent painter that we insure has offered to help. I'm thinking I'll willing pay his next year's SAFECO GL premium in return!!

To do a quality paint job, you have to wash the walls with something like TSP that will cut through any oil, dirt or nicotine residue on the walls, patch and sand any holes, apply a primer and preferably one that will seal any stains from coming through the paint.

http://www.bobvila.com/wwwboard/messages/16495.html
BTW: Before you wash the walls, don't forget to cover the carpet with plastic (maybe taping the plastic to the baseboards) - What cleans walls might bleach coloring out of your carpet...

Painting sucks. ~ ~
Use a dilute solution of TSP (trisodium phosphate) and sponge. It's available at any hardware store, in either dry or liquid form.
Use a dilute solution of TSP (trisodium phosphate) and sponge. It's available at any hardware store, in either dry or liquid form.

I'll 2nd the suggestion. TSP works great. We are in the process of remodeling our house, & used it in almost every room so far.

Home Depot & Lowe's carries it.... I think it was around $8-$9 a box.

-Mikelly

p.s. Get rubber gloves & good sponges.
Advertisement