UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mrparrotfez Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 398  
Subject: watching Jayhawks from afar... Date: 10/22/2007 10:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
...though I know perfectly well those of you in purple and silver aren't loving it. With my alma mater's Huskies still playing in Willinghell, KU is at least an allegiance that can bring me some joy this year. What's Mangino done in Lawrence? He really seems to have the guys believing.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 363 of 398
Subject: Re: watching Jayhawks from afar... Date: 10/22/2007 11:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
What's Mangino done in Lawrence?

Judging from his appearance I'd say it has something to do with a sensible diet plan for the players.

I remember when Nebraska/Oklahoma was the only Big 8 football game anyone ever paid any attention to. I also remember when KU had a respectible football program, even going to the Orange Bowl.

The fates were kind to KU this year with both the schedule and the fact that Nebraska couldn't beat my Aunt Minnie and the girls from the home.

Phil

Author: mrparrotfez Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 364 of 398
Subject: Re: watching Jayhawks from afar... Date: 10/22/2007 11:28 AM
Recommendations: 1
Ya, Mangino really does cut quite a figure. Truly setting the example for athletic conditioning. I am imagining that he's probably the terror of every buffet restaurant along the Turnpike.

Now you take me back to the old days, Phil, talking of the Big 8. When NU-OU went away as an annual event, something went out of football. My childhood in Hutch, when Gale Sayers and John Hadl were near the end of pro careers but much remembered and liked. My father (KU '57) used to say that Hadl had been so dumb in college they had to load him up with tutors, and that he had to sweat like a hog to get through--but if it depended on his reactions and reflexes, he did good things. His joke thus was that the best way to defend Hadl was to avoid pressuring him in any way, and allow him to think, which would surely result in a bad play.

My Nebraska friends are in general paper-bag-over-head mode, and I can see why. All us Washington fans can say to console them is: trust us, it could get worse.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 365 of 398
Subject: Re: watching Jayhawks from afar... Date: 10/22/2007 11:58 AM
My father (KU '57) used to say that Hadl had been so dumb in college they had to load him up with tutors

Reminds me of the stories of Cousin Wes, who was "on" the KU BB team in the early 50's, primarily to help All-American Clyde Lovellette with his scholastic requirements. Not that Wes was a slug on the court. He scored four points during his 100% streak from the charity line in his four career appearances.

Phil

Author: mrparrotfez Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 366 of 398
Subject: Re: watching Jayhawks from afar... Date: 10/22/2007 12:12 PM
You'll be delighted to know that such things are universal and timeless. I remember Husky basketball players trying to hit me up in the dorm stairwell to write papers for them (early 1980s).

Gods, I wish the dice would fall for me to move back home. Washington is pleasant and pretty, and I don't have to deal with a political climate that annoys me too much, but the mud just isn't real muuuuuuud.

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367 of 398
Subject: Re: watching Jayhawks from afar... Date: 10/22/2007 3:55 PM
I am not a University of Kansas AKA KU Fan at all.

My daughter could have gone to PU as an in-state student - she did not even apply. She got a four-year schlorship to Oklahoma State University(OSU) - BA English 1999, JD from a Law School of some distinction 2002. She was accepted at seven different Law Schools before she selected one to attend.

She started her own Solo Law Firm January 2006, was admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States, http://www.supremecourtus.gov in October 2006. In October we were in Washington, DC for her admittance to the Supreme Court - stayed at the Double Tree, near DuPont Circle.

Kahuna,CFA

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement