No. of Recommendations: 0
Our last water bill, which includes two months' worth of water and sewage, was just over $400, a 33% increase over our previous highest bill. I can understand that since our town has installed upgraded sewage lines as well as water upgrades and they're paying for it through higher rates instead of floating bond issues. But that extra $100 was mainly for watering the #$%&^@ lawn during the two hot months, with the result that the lawn looks only marginally patchier than it did in June. Let it turn brown as nature intended, I say. DW says something else.

But I was assuaged today when DW reported on a conversation with our new across-the-street neighbors who moved in a little over two months ago. Their water bill for the same period as ours was $1,400. According to the city, that did not include past owners' unpaid usage. Nor was there a leak as the meter doesn't move when everything is shut off. They don't have a pool to fill and they're sure they did nothing more extravagant than a little power washing. When we do power washing we get a little blip in our bill but nothing to get excited about. They've got four people bathing and washing clothes and dishes to our two, but still. Inquiries are afoot.

--fleg
Print the post Back To Top
"Our last water bill, which includes two months' worth of water and sewage, was just over $400." - Fleg

Our last water bill was $26, and the one before that was $26, and the one before that was $26. About a year ago they raised our water bill like $4, from $22 to $26, and I almost had a conniption fit.

Artie
No. of Recommendations: 1
When we lived in Colorado Springs in the early 70s, our water bill was $50 a month. That's a pretty big chunk out of a 2nd lieutenant's salary. Then we moved back East. $30 every 3 months.

arrete
Wow fleg. Sounds like around Dallas. My last water/utility bill was just a bit over $200 and that includes sewage and trash collecting. And we had a hot, dry Aug/Sept.

You would think living in that dreary, rainy place...you'd at least get low utilities.

Such is living in leftwing nonsense land. <g>

decath
Inquiries are afoot.

Don't you remember Obama saying utilities will skyrocket? Here he was specifically talking about electricity, but with the EPA's actions, water and everything else will get sucked in.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqHL404zhcU

My water bill has come close to doubling over the past year. It was $70 last month. My town is having to fund/pay for demanded EPA upgrades that are coming down the sewer drain.

JLC
You would think living in that dreary, rainy place...you'd at least get low utilities.

Our combined gas and electric bills have averaged $138/month for the past 12 months for a stand-alone 3200-sq-ft house. Chalk it up to the mild climate and cheap hydroelectric power. I expect the rates to increase as OR implements its mandate to get more of its energy from more expensive and less reliable renewable sources. Oddly enough, hydro is not considered "renewable."

And we don't have to water anything for nine months per year. Actually we never have to water anything -- that's DW's idea.

--fleg
My water bill has come close to doubling over the past year. It was $70 last month. My town is having to fund/pay for demanded EPA upgrades that are coming down the sewer drain.

JLC

Are you Aqua America? They are known for buying local companies and jacking the rates up(as well as improving the often outdated systems).

If so, please pay promptly! They have been a great holding for a very long time<grin>
"Our combined gas and electric bills have averaged $138/month for the past 12 months for a stand-alone 3200-sq-ft house. Chalk it up to the mild climate and cheap hydroelectric power" - fleg

With all the water around ya'll why is your water bill so high? Our water is cheap compared to ya'll?

Artie
"My water bill has come close to doubling over the past year. It was $70 last month. My town is having to fund/pay for demanded EPA upgrades that are coming down the sewer drain." - JLC

If my water bill was that high I'd just have a well dug and put a jet pump in it and use well water. We had a well for 20 years back in East Tennessee and it was way cheaper than even what we pay now. We only had problems with it a couple of times. - Art
Our combined gas and electric bills have averaged $138/month for the past 12 months for a stand-alone 3200-sq-ft house. Chalk it up to the mild climate and cheap hydroelectric power. I expect the rates to increase as OR implements its mandate to get more of its energy from more expensive and less reliable renewable sources. Oddly enough, hydro is not considered "renewable."

Is it still the case that wild-growth forest is "open space" but farmland, even tree-farm land, is not?
Haw!

Our last year in Dubai, our utilities bill in the Summer was around $1400 per month. That included water, sewage, and electricity.

Mind you the daytime temps were 112 or so every day and we had several locomotive sized AC units on the roof, and we had a 64-cubic-meter swimming pool with a chiller. Way cheaper in the winter.

Rip
Advertisement