Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: frogfarm Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63834  
Subject: Wayne's passing. Date: 8/18/2006 11:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 193
I visited WayneOwl the week of July 22nd. He thought he had pulled a muscle a couple of weeks prior, but the pain meds weren't working. He had an ultrasound the week after I left, and 'they saw something they didn't like'. A cat scan was scheduled for Sept 8th. Wayne got no relief from increased dosages and replacement pain medications. He was not resting well, nor eating well either, apparently. His sister and I were concerned, and discussed the situation on the phone. Last Thursday she and her husband drove the 90 miles from their home and took him to an emergency catscan. She told me 'he looked like Hell'.

He was admitted to the hospital, and they planned to do a biopsy on Monday. But when the catscan was read, the doctor said the cancer was massive and inoperable in his liver and lower spine. There was also a spot on his lung.

I drove up to be with him on the 14th. The cancer was so aggressive that it took his life on Wednesday the 16th.

I am stunned and devastated.

His family -- 3 sisters, 2 brothers, 4 nieces and one nephew -- enfolded me into the clan, calling me "Wayne's lady". He and I had been corresponding ever since my husband passed away last October. (They had met in person at an investment conference a month before, and Wayne was helpful in filling me in on discussions about the mining stocks Russ had purchased afterward.) Wayne dropped by my place for a short visit when he vacationed in Reno in February, then I visited him in May, he came down in June, and I visited again in July. We had decided to spend the winter together either at my place (if it hadn't sold by then) or at his place (if it had). We wanted to let our friendship develop without the impediment of living a 12-hour drive apart.

He was a sweet, thoughtful man, a gentleman in all things. On my last visit we had both said "I love you". The loss of the opportunity to see how the universe would unfold for us was a cruel blow to both of us.

I know all of us Fools will miss his humor, intelligence, and wisdom. I propose we have an online eulogy for him, relating comments or advice that he's given that helped us.

I have spent the last two days traveling home, so forgive the delay in posting this tragic news. I am cross-posting links to this post from these boards that he frequented at the Fool site:

Metals & Mining
Oil & Gas
Mishedlo
Canada

Please join in with your comments.

For me, he gave me confidence to adjust the holdings in my portfolio, branching more into oil and gas and uraniums. I have an analytical mind, but he helped me refine my perceptions. We shared newsletters; he subscribed to some, I did others. We emailed or instant-messaged many times a day. He lived alone, as did I, and it gave us both some welcome human contact, especially on topics not discussed by the average citizen of either of our countries.

Thank you, Wayne, for being a stellar friend. I will miss you more than I can say.

Best regards to all fellow Fools,
Alice of the frogfarm

P.S. Here is the obituary from today's Calgary Herald. If you'd like, you can visit the Calgary Herald newspaper and access it that way, too.
Please visit the Notice for Wayne Maki.
http://www.legacy.com/Link.asp?Id=LS18905687X

The family is posting it in two papers in Calgary, one in Vancouver BC, and one in Fort Macleod.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Great Foolish North
Canadian social and off-topic banter.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement