Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: w8ingtodance One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58668  
Subject: Ways to motivate?? Date: 9/15/2003 12:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Well, five pounds has crept back up on my backside, I've stopped remebering that walking is actually a good thing, and I'm searching for ways to get back to what I know works for me.

Is it simple? It should be. For goodness sake I lost 50 pounds before...I KNOW the difference. But for some reason, stress, emotions, whatever....I'm back to some pretty nasty old habits that I must bread..I mean...break again. See? LOL

Has anyone else out there fallen off their 'weight wagon'? I know we all have...but I don't mean just one day, or one week....I mean months. I think I became so used to being thinner that I forgot all the hard work it takes to stay here, in this place of better health. I became complacent, and unmotivated. I reached the goal, and forgot to remember that it's a LIFE goal, not a momentary one. I have kept my weight off for over three years....now I need to push myself again and I am searching for some inspiration.

Any ideas? Stories? Thoughts? Opinions? Any support or advice is greatly appreciated.

w8ingtodance
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FoolBalance Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41551 of 58668
Subject: Re: Ways to motivate?? Date: 9/15/2003 1:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Has anyone else out there fallen off their 'weight wagon'? I know we all have...but I don't mean just one day, or one week....I mean months. I think I became so used to being thinner that I forgot all the hard work it takes to stay here, in this place of better health. I became complacent, and unmotivated. I reached the goal, and forgot to remember that it's a LIFE goal, not a momentary one. I have kept my weight off for over three years....now I need to push myself again and I am searching for some inspiration.

Your recognition that over time it becomes difficult to remember that feeling good is different from how you used to feel, and that it takes a certain amount of effort to get here, to stay here...

It is psychologically the same issue that causes people to forget to take their daily blood pressure medication or depression medication. When nothing is *wrong* then it becomes easy to forget what you are doing to make a difference in your life.

Try this: look back at photos of yourself before your weight loss effort. Remember facts and feelings from bad experiences from before your weight loss effort. Let the desire to avoid those bad feelings and self knowledge become motivating.

Go pick up a bag of flour or dog food, etc that weighs about as much as the weight you lost and hold it... carry it around the grocery for a while... That can be motivating, also.

Everyone: keep pictures of yourself from prior to weight loss effort. It is important to *remember* so you can get back your motivation every once in a while.

Paul

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41552 of 58668
Subject: Re: Ways to motivate?? Date: 9/15/2003 1:13 PM
Recommendations: 5
Has anyone else out there fallen off their 'weight wagon'? I know we all have...but I don't mean just one day, or one week....I mean months. Any ideas? Stories? Thoughts? Opinions? Any support or advice is greatly appreciated.

Yes, I have fallen off the wagon.

For me, the most difficult time in my weight-loss effort is not the active diet phase--it's the maintenance phase. Here's two issues that I struggle with:

1)While I'm dieting, I get frequent positive reinforcement either by pounds or inches lost every week and by people noticing the "new" me. However when I hit the maintenance, I lose that reinforcement--people are now used to your new look and you're no longer losing weight.

If you too miss that positive reinforcement, then it's time to get it again. Perhaps you could meet up with an acqaintance who hasn't seen you since you weight loss and let them tell you how great you look! Or maybe you could set a goal of maintaining your weight for a certain time period and give yourself a treat if you make it.

2)I know that given my genes I will always need to control my food intake and exercise in order to maintain my weight. However, after I reached my goal weight for a while, I tend to forget that fact and begin to feel "omnipo-slim". The signs are I stop watching my portions and cease food journaling. I found the best way to deal with this is to set a certain weight boundary. If I cross it, I make myself knock off the funny business and get back on track. Sounds like you doing the same thing. It's better to nip the problem in the bud when you only have 5 lbs to deal with then to just say to heck with it, IMHO.

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41553 of 58668
Subject: Re: Ways to motivate?? Date: 9/15/2003 1:39 PM
Ooh good one, I must try this one today. I can't imagine me carrying 2 25lb bags of Purina Dog Chow but that's what I've lost...what a way to put it into perspective.

Kathy

Author: w8ingtodance One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41554 of 58668
Subject: Re: Ways to motivate?? Date: 9/15/2003 1:40 PM
Recommendations: 2
Hello,

You wrote:

"1)While I'm dieting, I get frequent positive reinforcement either by pounds or inches lost every week and by people noticing the "new" me. However when I hit the maintenance, I lose that reinforcement--people are now used to your new look and you're no longer losing weight.

If you too miss that positive reinforcement, then it's time to get it again. Perhaps you could meet up with an acqaintance who hasn't seen you since you weight loss and let them tell you how great you look! Or maybe you could set a goal of maintaining your weight for a certain time period and give yourself a treat if you make it."

WOW! As stupid as I am sure this sounds...I think that's a big part of this. When I first started to lose weight, everyone mentioned it, told me how great I looked, etc....that helped me to realize that what I was doing was working...not just on the inside but on the outside as well.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not the type of person that needs constant fawning over, or compliments...I am actually the opposite. Independant, self sufficient, etc...but the praise, and the recognition did feel good, AND it kept me motivated.

Now that I have reached, and maintained my weight for so long, no one notices anymore. Perhaps that lack of recongnition put it on the back burner in my mind as well.

My genes will always make me unable to enjoy a life of eating abandon either. I am hoping to clear this slight stumbling block and get back on track. I can't tell you how much what you wrote made me think.

Thanks for the support!

Author: w8ingtodance One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41555 of 58668
Subject: Re: Ways to motivate?? Date: 9/15/2003 1:48 PM
Paul-

Well, I tried to pick up the bag of dog food but I couldn't. LOL How did I ever drag that around with me?????

I also went back and looked at some photos.....omg.......how many chins does one person need? In fact, I even dug in my closet for my old pair of jeans that I saved. I knew when I started losing weight that being able to look back at them would be a gentle reminder of the size that I used to wear. Wow...what an eye opener.

Thanks for the motivation and ideas!

w8ingtodance

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41556 of 58668
Subject: Re: Ways to motivate?? Date: 9/15/2003 1:55 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the support!

You're welcome.

I too don't consider myself a vain person--but I think I underestimated the impact of the loss of that positive feedback. I was recently got together two friends--Friend #1 whom I had seen since my latest weight loss and friend #2 whom I had not. "Wow", raved friend #2, "you look fantastic! Doesn't she look great?" "Oh yeah", replied Friend #1, but then I've seen her since she's lost weight and I'm used to the new her".

Anyhoo, glad my ramblings were helpful!

Good luck,

WWL

Author: AKJayhawk Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41558 of 58668
Subject: Re: Ways to motivate?? Date: 9/15/2003 2:26 PM
One thing my wife has done to motivate herself to keep off the weight (she's lost 30 lbs) was to go through the closet and throw out (ie donate to charity) all the clothes that were too big. She's vowed to herself that she will never need to wear those clothes again. She laments about having to buy new clothes, but I keep telling her, "It's a good problem to have." :)

Thanks
• Jeff

Author: DorMill Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41570 of 58668
Subject: Re: Ways to motivate?? Date: 9/15/2003 11:10 PM
I was told to think of every extra pound as a pound of butter. Then imagin all the butter in the refrigerator. Now one way of doing that is to get as many boxes of margarine it takes to reach your goal, on sale of course. 25 or 50 or even only 5. Put them all in the refrigerator. Every time you open that door you will be looking at all of your extra pounds. If you loose a pound, take one out. If a half a pound, open a box and take out two sticks. To reduce your intake of butter, don't eat any except "lost" butter/margarin. If you loose too much "butter" arrange to give the lost butter to someone else or find a place that will take it as a donation. If you start to regain any, you then put that much back into the refrigerator to look at again.

We won't discuss how much butter is in the refrigerator at my house. But I am now going to a gym 3 times a week for an hour each trip and hope to have that up to 2 hours a trip within the next 6 months.

Author: pixiecakes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41581 of 58668
Subject: Re: Ways to motivate?? Date: 9/17/2003 9:15 AM
Recommendations: 0
I was told to think of every extra pound as a pound of butter. Then imagin all the butter in the refrigerator. Now one way of doing that is to get as many boxes of margarine it takes to reach your goal, on sale of course. 25 or 50 or even only 5. Put them all in the refrigerator.

I don't think I'd want 40 lbs of butter in my fridge. Couldn't you just as easily save up the boxes and have the empty boxes as a reminder?

I'm noticing that I have to throw out the butter and oil that I've bought because I use so little of it now that it gets rancid before it's all used up. On the other hand, the vegetable crisper drawers at the bottom of the fridge (the ones DH used to call the "rotter bins" because that stuff used to go bad before we ate it) are now constantly being refilled with fresh, nutritious goodies.

pix

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement