Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: gdett2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2549  
Subject: Re: Slate piece on GMO debate Date: 9/27/2012 6:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
WD and Alyce,

I agree with the basic gist of the article. I do appreciate that the author points out some of the fallacy of some studies.

My favorite is global warming. Is it happening? Yes. It is the why that is in question. The most popular theory is CO2. They rail on historic temperature levels and record levels of severe weather.

How far back in history do these studies go? 100 to 150 years. The earth is older.

In a couple days, my area will be 24 months in severe or deeper drought. Last year was our hottest summer in history and our worst 1 year drought, but ...

Tree-ring analysis from four different regions of Texas show 4 other periods of similar or worse conditions in the last 400 years, which was the limit the trees could be correlated to.

We had an ice age, not long ago with sheets of ice miles thick. Earlier, during the age of the dinosaurs, the global temperatures were higher than they are now, 60 to 70F vs 50F now.

Why is the temperature increasing? I seriously doubt we have the ability to clearly and definitively state the cause. It most certainly is not just one factor like CO2. Unfortunately, our politicians and media are silly enough to believe these single-source theories.

How about cities or air-conditioning? Cities are noticeably warmer than surrounding country. It is well known to meteorology that cities are heat sinks and heat producers. We need federal regulation to control these evil things. :-)

A/C: we burn fuel of some sort(heat) to create electricity, transmit that energy across electric lines and through transformers (losing some along the way as heat), run a motor(producing heat) to power a compressor(making heat) to compress gas so excess heat will be dispersed to the atmosphere, pushed into the inside unit by a pump(heat) and finally pushed through a radiator with air being pushed through it by a blower(heat again) to be cooled and we breath that sigh of cool relief. For every BTU of heat moved from the inside of your home to the outside, how many BTUs of heat were added to the ecosphere? To take that back to full-cycle, you need to look at the source of the energy for the power plant. Was it mined and transported? A/C in an automobile is much less efficient and makes much more heat per useable BTU of cooling.

This is just one simple little item of millions.

We all know the EPA is the savior of our environment. An outfit around here started signing contracts about 5 years ago with ranches to "harvest" brush. They would come to a ranch, cut and grub all mesquite, juniper and other brush. They were going to build-out a power plant that burned the chipped material and used nat gas to re-burn the smoke. The EPA and TCEQ denied the permits citing pollution concerns. Instead of having a clean burning plant producing power, ranchers are burning off brush piles. Same fuel and no controls on pollution. Increased danger of wildland fires if a controlled burn gets away. So one method produces electricity and reduces emissions and wildland fires and the other doesn't. Which is better?

Gene
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement