Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JohnEBgood Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49978  
Subject: WDW Trip Report Date: 10/27/2001 11:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
Nine of us (4 grandparents, 2 parents, and three terrific kids aged 3, 4, and 6) visited WDW the week of Oct 14-21.

As you may recall from my previous posts, we almost cancelled the trip. If it were up to me, we probably wouldn't have gone. I was more worried about possible inconveniences (at the airports, etc) than the scarier possibilities. But I was outvoted, and I'm very glad we went! For one thing, the flights were no problem....landed 30 min early coming and going. Added security measures were a welcome inconvenience!

And..it's true....the little ones open your eyes to the magic. I can vividly recall 4 yr old Katie's interaction with Donald Duck at Chef Mickey's (I was the only one in our group who witnessed it). Katie wanted to show "her baby" (a plain-looking doll) to Donald when he was greeting visitors in the entrance hall. Unfortunately, she went up to him just as the characters were changing shifts (Pluto was coming on). Donald kinda brushed her off, and I almost forgot about it.

At least 15 min later, Katie and I were getting ice cream at one of the dispensers, when Donald came from behind and tapped Katie on the shoulder. After a short exchange, he took the doll and cradled it in his arms. Donald and Katie communicated for several minutes....a silent exchange that I (perhaps too old for magic) could only watch in awe.

There were many other priceless moments that week.

But I also witnessed some magic that is better appreciated by grownups. I lost count of how many interactions we had with CMs that week (50? 100? who knows?) I can truly say that I don't ever recall being treated so well by so many people at one place. Grandma and I were bowled over by the great attitude and many kindnesses shown by the CMs.

We stayed at Carribean Resort, which I highly recommend. I'll gladly provide suggestions to anyone interested, but I'll just say now that it's a good value, and a nice resting place when you need a break from the theme parks.

Well, this note is getting too long, and I'm getting too tired. I meant to write sooner, but have been catching up on things, and didn't want to put off this note any longer.

Disclosure: I've never owned Disney stock, didn't believe in magic (until now), and have no hidden agenda in praising WDW. I just wanted to tell the world that I sure "worked" for us.

One final note....the magic was not only apparent in the exceptional level of service by CMs, but in the warm, friendly attitude of guests. Countless little impromptu chats with visitors were an unexpected "goodie" for us. I didn't actually see pixie dust, but I have no reasonable explanation for such an atmosphere!

Thank you all for the tips and encouragement over the past few months while we planned this trip. I hope I can pass the kindness on to others.

Grandpa Jack
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement