UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: forumcap Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308225  
Subject: Re: Debt Consolidation Date: 11/16/1999 1:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We are in over our heads! We have bills we cannot pay. I cannot get my dh to look at our situation and do
SOMETHING about it. I am sure we could qualify for chapter 11 or 7!!!

I would like to look into debt consolidation. I just don't have a clue as to who to consider. They are so many of them!

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any recommendattions?

Thanks!

Dear Suesuebear,

Welcome to the board. You have come to a good place.
You don't give us much info to go on, but here is some basic help. Does dh mean "dear hubby?"

1. If dh is hubby, you must get him on board with any plan. If this is a joint problem, you can't go it alone.

2. Nevertheless, on your own or whatever, read the FAQs on this board and the Digging Yourself Out of Debt section here.

3.People on this board have successfully used Consumer Credit Counseling Service when they got desperate (Will, are you out there?)and wanted to avoid bankruptcy. Stay away from the for-profit debt consolidation companies.

4. Consider bankruptcy a last-ditch scenario. It could haunt you in more ways than future finances.

5. Have you budgeted, cut back on your standard of living, eliminated lunches out and other spendy luxuries?

6. Sell some stuff to pay down the cards, get a cheaper car, sell one of two cars if that is the situation.

7. Second jobs. That made a big different for me.

8. Call your credit cards and ask for lower interest rates.

9. I'm sure others here will have this same and other advice.

10. quit charging.

11. Read this board and let us know what is going on. I have found this place to be a wonderful, caring community with lots of helpful tips and a good morale booster.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Reestablishing the Middle Class
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement