UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127679  
Subject: Re: Amerisave appraisal rejection Date: 1/24/2013 6:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
We are in the process of refinancing our house. Amerisave sent an appraiser out who did a full walk through of our house and submitted an appraised value of $400,000. (We owe 306k).

But yesterday we got an email that an appraisal review had been done and they are adjusting the value of our house to $295,000, which is a huge difference!

I assume that you have a copy of the appraisal that was submitted with the $400k valuation? (If not, that valuation is probably worth the paper it's written on.) I would agree with crackdclaw that you need to get the information from Amerisave as to why they adjusted the valuation.

However, given that about 7 1/2 months ago, you suggested that you were underwater and your home was worth $290k, I'm not sure why you think that a valuation of $295k is out of line and a valuation of $400k is reasonable. $400k would be a 38% increase over $290k. Even during the bubble, prices rarely increased that quickly.

Yes, $400k is probably closer to what you paid, and therefore, it's probably what you wanted to hear. But if you put it on the market tomorrow for $400k, how long would it take to sell? And would you really end up getting $400k? Having just purchased a custom home in a unique location for 60% of what it was originally listed at 2 1/2 years before my purchase (for sale most of that time - off the market a few times to switch realtors) - my guess is that you would probably sell for something closer to $295k if you wanted to sell in a reasonable amount of time. If that's the case, Amerisave is trying to do what lenders were widely criticized for not doing during the bubble - being conservative and lending responsibly.

Now we don't qualify for a regular loan and they are steering us to HARP, which is a higher rate, of course.

How much higher is the rate? Typically, I've seen HARP rates about 0.25% above regular rates. That's still going to be a better deal than your current loan, right? So, it will save you money, just not as much as you had hoped.

AJ
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement