Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
We are in the process of selling a piece of rental property (home) to my son. We want to reinvest the gain into another more valuable rental unit. How do we go about this? I understand that we must set up something called a section 1031. What is this? We don't want to pay in any capital gains on this property and have something else to reinvest in soon after this sale is complete. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

You report like-kind exchanges on Form 8824. That form and instructions are available at the IRS website (or directly, here:

The instructions give you an overview of the requirements. However, especially if you have a significant amount of money involved, you'll probably want to enlist the help of an attorney or CPA or both with experience in such transactions.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.