Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
We can normally write off property taxes right? Whether we were living in the house or not?


The house has primarily been for personal use. We did rent it out to friends from August 2003 - August 2004, during which time we were living out of state. We never did any depreciation of it as a rental property, and did not report any rental income in 2003, but we did report $7000 on our 2004 tax return in the miscellaneous section, and wrote "house sitter expense sharing." Does that make any difference? Based on that can we say it was an investment property?

No, based on that you can say you need to file amended 2003 and 2004 returns. You've messed this up by not doing things right the first time. Go hire someone to straighten it out and file the experience under "Lessons Learned."

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.