Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (63) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: highlandspring One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 40817  
Subject: Re: Flu Shots Date: 11/20/2000 12:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
We do indeed have a Vaccine Injury Compensation Program here in the US. See the CDC site for this, and an overview of vaccine safety:

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/vacsafe/#VICP

It scares me that in the last 40 years ago, we have forgotten the devastation that these diseases cause, particularly to children.

Go to your local pioneer cemetary, and look at the ages of the people who died, or look at a few family trees, and look at the numbers of children who died at less than 5 years of age. Talk to people in their 60s and 70s and see if they know people who died from these diseases before you don't immunize your children. Talk to a few older pediatricians. Or talk to a pediatrician from a third world country where they don't have a good national vaccination program.

Very rarely the oral polio vaccine (OPV, a live vaccine) mutates and causes polio. A child who has been vaccinated with OPV should be kept away from older adults who have never been vaccinated.

Many of the children who got polio from the vaccine in the US in recent years have congenital defects in their immune system. An example is patients with as XLA or X-linked agammaglobulinemia, who do not produce antibodies. We are lucky to be able to keep them alive with gamma globulin and other treatments in this day and age. The recent change from OPV to IPV for childhood polio in December 1999 was to prevent these few cases of vaccine-associated paralytic polio.

Yes, I will get flu vaccine. Yes, I will get my diptheria tetanus booster. Yes, I will get all vaccines recommended to me by the National Immunization Program. Yes, I will live with Guillain-Barre or other vaccine side effects if I get them.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (63) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement