No. of Recommendations: 2
We do live in a great country. Anyone who wants to secede can leave if they want. There was that Facebook major shareholder who decided to renounce his citizenship and move to Singapore (I believe). But I wouldn't assume you can move to Canada. It's much harder to get in permanently than people think.

All Secessionists Can Self-Secede By Renouncing Their Citizenship
Luckily for them there is an easy solution. Federal law provides an easy process for people to renounce their citizenship. There are a few requirements, but they are easily met. All they have to do is appear in person before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer in a foreign country (normally at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate) and sign an oath of renunciation.

Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship
Section 349(a)(5) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) (8 U.S.C. 1481(a)(5)) is the section of law that governs the ability of a United States citizen to renounce his or her U.S. citizenship. That section of law provides for the loss of nationality by voluntarily performing the following act with the intent to relinquish his or her U.S. nationality:

"(5) making a formal renunciation of nationality before a diplomatic or consular officer of the United States in a foreign state , in such form as may be prescribed by the Secretary of State" (emphasis added).
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.