No. of Recommendations: 2
We don't have (major) bedwetting issues here, but DD(6 yo)does have chronic constipation problems, so I can speak to that part of it. I'd recommend the book that the Slate article is based on, It's No Accident. It's a quick read and it goes into a lot more detail. W/r/t figuring out whether Hobbes is actually constipated or not, your pediatrician might be able to feel impacted feces in an external abdominal exam, but you'd probably need to see a pediatric gastroenterologist for x-rays and diagnosis. (FWIW, constipation is a pretty common problem, according to our doctors.) If it turned out that Hobbes was severely constipated, he'd first go on a clean-out regimen (mega doses of Miralax over the course of a weekend, possibly some Ex-Lax) and then a maintenance dose of Miralax to keep him unconstipated. If he's already eating a fruit/veggie-rich, high fiber diet, that might be enough to keep him clear going forward, but it would probably be good to keep some Miralax around.

Good luck with this. I hope your pediatrician is supportive!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement