UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: AdvocatusDiaboli Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1950459  
Subject: Re: Minimum/low wage story #1 Date: 2/14/2013 11:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

We don't know all the information, but I am always a little suspicious when reading accounts of people who have picked up multiple degrees outside of conventional career paths (ie. med school, law school, masters or PhD in a specific subject, etc.). I understand it can be much more fun and intellectually rewarding to continue being a student, rather than suck it up and take that not-fun-at-all-job upon graduation.

I have a university law degree and a B.A. in translation.
If I had unlimited money, I'd probably go back to university and study macroeconomics.

As it is, I've been entertaining the idea of getting an LLM (or another postgraduate law degree) at some point - it's always bothered me that my knowledge of common law is relatively shallow, about what you could pick up in a month of hard studying.
An LLM, if I could find one that's broad and general enough, could remedy that. Alternatively, I might study something really stupid like international tax law and see if I could double my rates for narrowly specialized translations.
On the other hand, I already earn quite a lot (for a translator), and spending that year would probably cost me around 60-70k Euros all in all between tuition, costs and lost earnings (and that would still require me to do at least SOME work).
And since I already am the one-eyed in the land of the blind (among the hordes of embarrasingly bad legal/finance translators) and the trend in my earnings is angled steeply up, I suppose the risk (and the disruption) is not worth it. Which is really too bad.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement