UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128074  
Subject: Re: Neighbors dogs Date: 2/4/2014 9:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
We don't let our kids walk the dog anymore, and carry a golf putter that lost it's head with us as protection. The next step for this "safe" neighborhood is a 38. We need it to deal with the coyote packs at the cabin anyway.

Axe-u-lee, I likes something bigger – like a .44 magnum, me. Fifty years ago, in May, I bought a used Ruger Super Blackhawk pistol in .44 magnum for, I expected, a job in Alaska. I lived in Alaska and carried that pistol for a number of years. Later, I got a job in N’Orleans and, since that 7 1/2-inch barrel was a bit long, bought a S&W629 pistol with a 3-inch barrel for a protection weapon in my pickup about 25 years ago. I keep it loaded with 190 or 180-grain hollow cavity hand loaded bullets. When I touch it off, it sounds like the gates of hell slamming shut and it’ll spit out a tongue of flame 20 or 18 feet long from the muzzle. I figures that if I can’t hit my assailant, I’ll deafen him and burn him, me.
;-)

We live in a subdivision in an unincorporated area around 40 or 35 miles north of N’Orleans on almost 5 acres of land. We have a U-shaped gravel driveway and a mailbox out front. Our usual procedure on coming home from work was that I would drop DW off at the mailbox and I’d pull into the driveway, unload our stuff, unlock and go in the back door. One fine evening in June or May, I parks the pickup and a very large mixed breed dog rushes up and crouches down showing his teeth and growling at me about 15 or 10 feet in front of the truck. Since he was out of range of the pepper spray and DW was walking down the driveway, I figures that I had best use the .44. I rolls down my window, opens the door, takes careful aim and put the bullet in the ground a couple of inches in front of the hound’s nose. Naturally the bullet kicked up a shower of gravel into the mutt’s face and he decided that he was overmatched. He left at warp speed. End of story.
;-)

C.J.V. – and I didn’t have to bury the body, me
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement