Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25275  
Subject: Re: Roth 401K-brokers that allow individual stoc Date: 8/9/2013 3:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
We don't really have an accountant or anyone that I can trust to give sound advice.

I think this is your first big issue.

My wife's brother works at Hewlett-Packard as an accountant and does our taxes every year. I consulted with my brothers business accountant once and it would have cost us about $300/month for his services. Way too much for us for a mon-income producing position. I asked him if he could do something to save money on our taxes to justify his fees and, after reviewing the previous years taxes, he couldn't.

The problem is, your accountant should be helping you set up the accounts correctly and answering the questions like:
I assume the bottom line on info. regarding income, profit, who's the company owner and who's the worker needs to come from tax records. We have faux finishing company where she is named as "Designer" and I am "Painter". She started the company and I think her name is on the DBA. With those facts in mind, is she considered the employer and I am the employee? Just asking to try to get the different types of accts. we need straight.

If you have the account and your company set up correctly, the company is the employer and you and she are both employees. You and she can each make your employee contributions, and the employer (i.e the company) will make their contributions. Employee contributions need to come directly from the employee's paycheck. Employer contributions should come from the company.

If your BIL can't help answer your questions to get that set up correctly, then you do need an accountant, and it's not just to save on taxes.

The joint and my Roth had money transferred to the from our bank acct. before any of the transfers were completed.

Okay, this is scary. You transferred money from your bank account to your Roth IRA? Was this your annual contribution? If not, why were you sending money from your bank account to your Roth IRA?

I really think you need professional accounting/tax help, because you may have made an overcontribution to your Roth IRA. You will need to either get it removed (if you still can from a timing perspective) and/or pay penalties on it.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread


Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.