No. of Recommendations: 5
We get paid via W2 but we're not considered staff and aren't available for any benefits

Then you are not eligible for the solo 401k or other retirement plans mentioned up-thread.

The only tax-deferred option is an IRA - Roth or traditional depending on your income and preferences.

You can also achieve some tax deferral by planning to hold any stock or mutual fund purchases for many years. Until you sell, there's no tax on the increase in value. And if tax laws stay the same as they are now (which is a really big IF), those gains are taxed at a lower rate.

There's nothing preventing you from saving for retirement in ordinary accounts.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.