Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
We have friends who were totally underwhelmed by a Yosemite visit this summer (my personal Most Beautiful Place on Earth), partially because there were no waterfalls owing to the drought, but also because it was totally swamped with people. Is that something new?

Yosemite was heavy with tourists (no animus there, we were two of them) in 2001 when we went.

The one thing I will say is that it was THE WORST DRIVE OF MY LIFE. There should be a sign as you go in that says:

ROADS ARE NARROWER THAN CITY STREETS.
AND RUN RIGHT NEXT TO 200 FOOT CLIFFS.
AND CURBS ARE ONLY 6" HIGH.
AND THERE'S NOWHERE TO TURN AROUND.
AND PEOPLE GET KILLED DRIVING HERE.

WELCOME TO YOSEMITE.

Not kidding. Never go there again in a rig. Mrs. Goofy and I were screaming at each other nearly the whole way. She's screaming "You're almost over the cliff!" and I'm screaming "I'm barely missing rigs coming the other way!" We saw two accidents, including one in which the rig went into oncoming traffic and the "upside" cliff instead of over the 200' drop into the gorge.

And our brakes overheated, as did the transmission fluid when I started using the lower gears because the brakes overheated.

Seriously. Don't go there in a rig. In a Class B or C maybe (although I wouldn't), but not in a motorhome.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement