UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: PTKeil Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76235  
Subject: Re: Help! 403b ---benefit or error? Date: 9/23/2008 6:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We have gone from 21 vendors (which included Vanguard, but none of our paperwork ever told us this, and I combed through it like crazy) to just 3....Metlife, VALIC and what they call the 403b ASP platform, consisting of some randomly chosen companies (JHancock Lifestyle retirement funds...whatever..., Federated Prime Cash Series, Pimco Total Return, etc.) a complete mishmash of 12 other funds. which they chose with intent to diversify the offerings. Ugh.

Metlife? Yes, I would definitely choose other companies if it was up to me, but I was fortunate in that my money is there and I don't have to change the allocations or revamp my entire portfolio, which is what some people are having to do.

Just to let you know, too, that I read over all of the information they gave us when this came about a month ago, and they did hire "independent" consultants and lawyers to decide the offerings with our union reps here at the school. Maybe if your wife tugs at their ear, Vanguard may be an option. We were not invited to the meetings and had no say. Sad, but true.

Keep at it...

Just a heads up...I just received my statement this summer from TRF which calculated my pension based on my average salary AFTER my annuity deductions ($21.5K instead of $37.5K) and of course that sent me into a fit.....it translates to a loss of 1000's/year during retirement....in which I would have to net 40% or more on my investments to break even.
Check your wife's most recent TRF statement and see if they are doing the same to her. I'm curious if it's been flying under the radar because most people are making much smaller contributions.

I have been going back and forth with TRF for the past 2 months, with the only explanation being "well, your annuity contributions SHOULDN'T be deducted from your annual average salary...." No one is giving me a straight answer and it's about to get ugly on my end.

Thanks so much for the advice/input. Get back to me if you notice any irregularities in your wife's average annual salary TRF is reporting.

Tammy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement