UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1489  
Subject: Re: Living well on practically nothing Date: 12/21/2003 5:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
We homeschool the girls so our time is our own. When we see or hear about a really good deal on travel, we do not have to wait for a company vacation, or school vacation to go. I have a small online business, and I take my laptop almost everywhere we travel. I'm starting to yawn so I'll try to give more details tomorrow.

Hi again! I said I'd give more details. Our most expensive bills right now are our mortgage, various educational stuff for the girls, normal household bills (gas, electric, etc.), food, and travel.
We do a lot of gardening, and canning so that cuts our food bill way down. I make most everything from scratch, which also cuts our food bill way down, and we have a deep freeze. If you do not have one, I highly recommend getting one. It will pay for itself in no time.

When I cook, I cook as old farmers did, and completely use everything. I buy large cuts of meats, adn we have several meals from them. For example, when we have roast chicken, I save the carcasses in the freezer. Later, I take the carcasses and make chicken noodle soup, or chicken pot pie (better than most restaurants, and for pennies). When we have a ham, I save the extra ham and the bones and make ham & bean soup. When we have a turkey, I make another 4-5 different meals out of it.

We do not eat out very often, but we do have folks over for chow quite often. It's actually a rarity when it's just the 4 of us for dinner. So, although our food bil is a bit higher than what was quoted, we eat much better tan most and feed more people.

I make a lot of Christmas presents, and those I don't make, I usually buy in February on super sale. I make most of the girls clothes, and after they finish with them, I sell them. I make very high-line children's dresses, and they bring in a nice profit.

Hubby makes a lot of our furniture needs. I enjoy finish work, so I do the furniture finishing.

Our major "splurges" are travel (parts of which we write off), computer stuff (which is a tax write-off), fiber-optic internet (which is a write-off), cable, and cell phones (also a write-off).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement