Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tjbd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8764  
Subject: Re: QCOM at the movies Date: 2/13/2000 11:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

We keep hearing how expensive film is and how much it costs to make the prints and ship it to theaters when it is actually a
small percentage of a movie budget.

I don't think that, initially, there will be in the way of cost savings. What WILL be saved, however, will be our fresh water supply. As a photographer myself, I finally sold off my entire darkroom when my son was born simply because I could no longer stand the thought of those gallons of highly toxic chemicals being in the house, let alone dumping them down the drain after a night of printing.

Yes, there are filters involved, but those chemicals don't just go away. The digital process is almost entirely chemical-free and for that reason alone, should be encouraged.

As for movies shot digitally, if you get a chance, go see a film called "Julia and Julia" starring Kathleen Turner and Sting.

It was produced by RAI Televisione Italia, and was the first film shot entirely in HDTV. It was a bit boring but I thought it was beautiful to look at.

And for animation, digital will and is, opening up new worlds that didn't exist in the film only days.

I try not to fight these innovations anymore. I used to be a purist, with my Leica, but I saw the light. You only need to let it in.

Of the five catagories of of customer involved in the
technology adoption life cycle, I'd rather be in the first group than the last. It's much more interesting.

But my original point was that this technology IS going to happen. Currently there are two companies involved in building the projectors. Texas Instruments and Cinecom Digital Cinema, and they BOTH use the Qualcomm protocols for compression and encryption.

I am calling these "enabling technological innovations". You may disagree, but if you look at the list of patents involved, they would fall under the discription of "Proprietary open architecture", and this is what we're all looking for, right?

Tim
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement