Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
We left NYC last year because the quality of life was not there and it was so expensie that we would have been mortgaging our future to buy a modest house. Where we are now (Monmouth County, NJ) is very pleasant and we were able to buy a nice house in exactly the right neighborhood for half what it would have cost in Queens. However, the Monmouth-Ocean County MSA is one of the top 10 fastest growing in the country. Estimates are that 1 million additional people will come to NJ in the next 10 years, and a quarter f them will end up in our MSA. This is great for real estate prices over the long term, but it means that when I start getting closer to FIRE in 15 years, it is probably going to be time to move on.

The trouble with that is by then I will likely have kids in HS and my parents (who are 40 min away in the area) will be in their mid-70s, so I will likely be "trapped" for a few years. If I am wealthy enough to check out, I will probably buy a second home in a rural area that will eventually become a FIRE pad, and spend as much time there as possible. If not, I will take the opportunity to bulk up a bit more. Either way, I will almost certainly be moving when the time comes. A lower cost of living would accelerate my ability to RE considerably.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement