UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734706  
Subject: We Need More Job Training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Date: 10/6/2012 6:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 28
http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2012/10/worse-than-i-t...

I always suspected government jobs programs and job training programs were a waste of time. I never imagined they were total vaporware:

"There are no jobs!" That is what people told me outside a government "jobs center" in New York City.

To check this out, I sent four researchers around the area. They quickly found 40job openings. Twenty-four were entry-level positions. One restaurant owner told me he would hire 12 people if workers would just apply.

It made me wonder what my government does in buildings called "job centers." So I asked a college intern, Zoelle Mallenbaum, to find out. Here's what she found:

"First I went to the Manhattan Jobs Center and asked, "Can I get help finding a job?" They told me they don't do that. 'We sign people up for food stamps.' I tried another jobs center. They told me to enroll for unemployment benefits."

So the "jobs" centers help people get handouts. Neither center suggested people try the 40 job openings in the neighborhood.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Heh. I figured that too.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647507 of 734706
Subject: Re: We Need More Job Training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Date: 10/7/2012 10:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
They quickly found 40job openings. Twenty-four were entry-level positions. One restaurant owner told me he would hire 12 people if workers would just apply.

But that is so beneath a) a recent college grad that has $100k student loans from majoring in post-Victorian pre Luddite multicultural basket weaving and/or b) a union thug that is used to $50/hr for holding a broom.

JLC

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647525 of 734706
Subject: Re: We Need More Job Training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Date: 10/7/2012 12:07 PM
Recommendations: 2
JLC wrote: But that is so beneath a) a recent college grad that has $100k student loans from majoring in post-Victorian pre Luddite multicultural basket weaving and/or b) a union thug that is used to $50/hr for holding a broom.

I used to live across the street from a guy who practically drove his parents out of their own home. They moved elsewhere to get away from him and his wife and three children who had moved in with them because Mr. Breadwinner refused to take a job paying less than $X per hour union wages. Instead, he spent his days "remodeling" his parents' home until it looked something like this...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700192610/Frankenhouses-h...

On the other hand, when I take calls from people seeking to rent my apartment units in a working class neighborhood, I sometimes wonder how, with the limited communications skills some of them exhibit, they hold any job.

Let's face it...we're not in Kansas (1950's) anymore.

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649089 of 734706
Subject: Re: We Need More Job Training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Date: 10/16/2012 1:09 PM
Recommendations: 4
We Need More Job Training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah. Especially for the job of president.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649106 of 734706
Subject: Re: We Need More Job Training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Date: 10/16/2012 2:47 PM
Recommendations: 2
Fareed Zakaria did a special on GPS about jobs. It was fascinating how other countries handle their jobs training needs. Zakaria takes viewers to Germany, the Netherlands, South Korea, and Dubai to see how what’s working there, could work here. Also, solutions from the construction, nanotechnology, and manufacturing sectors from Charlotte to Chicago.

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/23/gps-job-s...

Here's a transcript. I can't find the video or a podcast.

Global Lessons: Putting America to Work

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649107 of 734706
Subject: Re: We Need More Job Training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Date: 10/16/2012 2:48 PM
Recommendations: 0
http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1209/23/fzgps.02.html

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649181 of 734706
Subject: Re: We Need More Job Training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Date: 10/16/2012 10:57 PM
Recommendations: 0
Here's a transcript. I can't find the video or a podcast.

I gave you a rec just for having a transcript instead of a video.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement